MAJOR GENERAL CARL AMANDUS BRANDT
Died December 23,1961
PRINT | E-MAIL
Carl Amandus Brandt was born in Fort Niebrara, Neb., in 1906. He served in the Air Corps as an enlisted man, graduated from the U.S. Military Academy June 12, 1930, and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Field Artillery.
After completing flying training the following year, General Brandt was assigned to the 12th Observation Group at Brooks Field, Texas, and that December he was transferred to the Air Corps. Going to the Philippine Islands in May 1934, he was assigned to the 28th Bomb Squadron, and two years later joined the 31st Bomb Squadron at Hamilton Field, Calif.
Entering the Air Corps Engineering School at Wright Field, Ohio in the fall of 1938, General Brandt graduated the following September and was assigned to the Bomber Branch, Production Engineering Division there. In May 1941 he was assigned as a technical adviser and instructor for the Royal Air Force in England. That October he was transferred to the Western Procurement District at San Diego, Calif., and early in 1943 he served a brief tour with the Second Air Force.
Going to the Southwest Pacific in May 1943, General Brandt served successively as deputy commander of the Fifth Air Service Command; commanding officer of the 90th Bomb Group; commanding officer of the Fifth Air Force Combat Replacement Training Center; commanding officer of the 13th Bomber Command; and deputy chief of staff of the 13th Air Force. Returning to the United States three years later, he was named deputy commander of the Air Proving Ground at Eglin Field, Fla., and assumed command in October 1946.
Transferred to Air Force headquarters at Washington, D.C., in August 1948, General Brandt was chief of the Requirements Division, Directorate of Training and Requirements, in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations. A year later he was designated deputy director of requirements in that office, becoming director of requirements in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Development in January 1950. He was appointed assistant deputy chief of staff for materiel at Air Force headquarters in January 1951.
Moving to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio in June 1952, General Brandt was director of maintenance engineering for the Air Materiel Command.
Joining the Air Training Command on Jan. 3, 1955, General Brandt assumed command of the Technical Training Air Force at Gulfport, Miss., becoming vice commander of Air Training Command Randolph Air Force Base, Texas, on Aug. 12, 1957, as assistant to the commander on Nov. 16, 1960.
His decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross, and Air Medal with oak leaf cluster. He is rated a command pilot, combat observer and technical observer. The first military man to pilot the B-24, B-26, B-29 and B-32, General Brandt is qualified to fly more than 100 types of aircraft.
(Up to date as of February 1958)