LIEUTENANT GENERAL FRANK A. BOGART
Died August 01,1992
PRINT | E-MAIL
Lieutenant General Frank A. Bogart was born in Warren, Pa., in 1909. In 1927 he received an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy and received his commission as a second lieutenant in the Coast Artillery in June 1931.
His first assignment was with the 13th Coast Artillery, Fort Barrancas, Fla., from where he was assigned to the 92nd Coast Artillery (Philippino Scouts), Corregidor, Philippine Islands in June 1932. He returned to the United States in February 1935 for duty with the 52nd Coast Artillery at Fort Hancock, N.J.
In 1936 Lieutenant Bogart was detailed as a student, regular course, at the Coast Artillery School, Fort Monroe, Va. and remained there for the advanced technical course in 1937.
The following year he was assigned to the 4th Coast Artillery, Fort Amador, Panama Canal Zone. From battery duties with that regiment he was transferred as S-4 to the newly organized Panama Anti-Aircraft Command (later The Panama Coast Artillery Command) in 1939.
June of 1940 saw him entering Massachusetts Institute of Technology for a scheduled year's post graduate study in mechanical engineering. The expansion of the Army in 1940, however, required the services of all available officers and Captain Bogart was recalled to duty with the newly organized 76th Coast Artillery at Fort Bragg, N.C., in September. He served with this regiment as battery commander and regimental gunnery instructor until March 1941 when he was detailed as S-3 (Assistant Chief of Staff, Operations and Training) of the Training Command at Camp Davis, N.C.
In June of 1941 he was assigned to the Construction Division, G-4, of the War Department General Staff, Washington, D.C., where he was responsible for Seacoast Defense and Alaskan Construction programs.
When the Services of Supply, later the Army Service Forces, was organized in March 1942, he was assigned to the Operations Division as chief of the Theater Branch, responsible for the logistic planning of overseas operations. He served in this capacity until November 1944 when he was sent to Moscow, U.S.S.R. as a logistic planner for the U.S. Military Mission.
He returned to Washington in June 1945 for duty as deputy chief, Plans Division, Army Service Forces. In this capacity he assisted in the preparation of plans for the 1946 reorganization of the War Department and was transferred to the Logistics Division, War Department General Staff in May 1946.
In July 1946 he was appointed G-4 (Assistant Chief of Staff, Logistics) Alaskan Department and became J-4 of the Alaskan Joint Command upon its organization Jan. 1, 1947.
On Sept. 26, 1947 he transferred to the U.S. Air Force. He was returned to the United States in December 1947 for duty as executive officer for the Deputy Chief of Staff, Materiel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He served in this capacity until August 1949 when he entered the National War College as a student.
Upon graduation from the War College in 1950, he was assigned to the Office of Military Assistance, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
In March 1951 he was assigned to the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe Planning Group in Paris and became chief of the Plans and Programs Branch, Logistics Division, upon the activation of SHAPE on April 2, 1951. General Bogart served in this capacity until March 1, 1954 when he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as deputy director of budget, and became the director of budget on June 14, 1954. He served in this capacity until July 1958 when he was reassigned to Headquarters Air Materiel Command as director of plans and programs.
In July 1959 General Right was reassigned within Headquarters Air Materiel Command as director of supply where he served until March 1961. He was transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as acting comptroller of the Air Force and on May 19, 1961 was confirmed by the Senate as the comptroller of the Air Force.
General Bogart has been awarded the Distinguished Service Medal and the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster.
(Current as of April 1963)