James L. McGinley, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Program Analysis and Financial Management, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. He is responsible to program, develop, and integrate the USTRANSCOM budget and manage resources for funding the global Defense Transportation System. He also develops policy and executes the AF's
$13.5 billion Transportation Working Capital Fund and oversees Joint Component Command's financing in responding to combatant command mobility requirements to meet critical joint war-fighting readiness and national security interests.
Mr. McGinley began his career with the Air Force in 1976 when he was commissioned through the ROTC program as a distinguished graduate. He entered federal civil service in 1981 at Headquarters Air Force Systems Command as the Operations Group Chief. He held numerous financial management positions in Air Force Materiel Command. In 2006, Mr. McGinley was appointed to Senior Executive Service in his previous assignment as Deputy Director of Financial Management, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, where he served as principal financial adviser to the AFMC Commander. He was responsible for funding weapon system development, acquisition and sustainment funding requirements, building budgets and cost estimates, administering the Air Force Working Capital Fund and executing AFMC's $56 billion annual budget.
Mr. McGinley is a retired colonel in the Air Force Reserve after 30 years of service. His last assignment was as the Mobilization Augmentee to the Commander, Agile Combat Support Systems Wing, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB.
1976 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration and personnel management, University of Akron, Ohio 1978 Squadron Officer School
1981 Master's degree in business management and supervision, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1987 Professional Military Comptrollers School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Program for Senior Officials in National Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1995 Air Command and Staff College
1995 Executive Excellence Management Program, School of Public Policy and Management, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburg, Pa.
2001 Air War College
2003 Program for Leadership in a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2007 Leadership Development Programs, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2010 System Acquisition Management for General and Flag Officers, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2011 Department of Defense Joint Executive Management Program, Kenan Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2015 Political-Economic, Policy Seminars for Africa, China and East Asia, and the Middle East and South Asia, Washington, D.C.
2015 Mobility Air Force Forces Senior Staff Course, USAF Expeditionary Center, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
2016 Executive Coaching and 360-Degree Leadership Assessment Program, Office of Personnel Management, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1977 - November 1981, USAF Active Duty, variety of comptroller officer assignments and locations
2. November 1981 - August 1985, Chief, Operations Group, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews AFB, Md.
3. August 1985 - April 1987, Deputy Chief, Operating Appropriations Division, Headquarters AFSC, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. April 1987 - December 1988, Deputy Chief, Budget Management Division, Headquarters AFSC, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. December 1988 - June 1991, Deputy Director of Programs and Budget, Headquarters AFSC, Andrews AFB, Md.
6. June 1991 - July 1992, Senior Financial Management Representative, HQ AFMC (Provisional) Air Force Systems Command and Air Force Logistics Command integration, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. July 1992 - September 1994, Chief, Research, Development, Test and Evaluation Appropriations Division, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. September 1994 - January 1998, Chief, Budget Management and Comptroller Plans Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. January 1998 - March 2003, Chief, Air Force Working Capital Funds Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. March 2003 - January 2006, Director of Financial Management, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. January 2006 - September 2007, Deputy Director of Financial Management, Headquarters AFMC, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. October 2007 - July 2008, Director of Financial Management, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. August 2008 - April 2011, Deputy Director of Financial Management, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. May 2011 - May 2017, Director of Program Analysis and Financial Management, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Exemplary Civilian Service Award (2)
Meritorious Civilian Service Award (2)
Joint Civilian Service Commendation Award
1994, 1998, 2000 Financial Management Team Quality Awards, AFMC
2001 Special Act or Service Award, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller
2005 Outstanding Financial Management and Comptroller Organization, AFMC
2006 Ohio Miami Valley Combined Federal Campaign Chairman
2008 AFMC Outstanding Contributions to Financial Management Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Omicron Delta Kappa, Honorary Leadership Fraternity
Certified Defense Financial Manager with Acquisition Specialty
Department of Defense Management Certification Program, Level III
Business and Financial Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program (APDP) Contracting, Level III, APDP
Financial Management Professional, Level III International Affairs Professional, Level II
(Current as of May 2017)