Maj. Gen. James O. Poss is the Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible to the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force for policy formulation, planning, evaluation, oversight, and leadership of Air Force ISR capabilities.
General Poss received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Southern Mississippi. He served in Desert Storm with the U.S. VII Corps RC-12 Guardrail Battalion in Saudi Arabia, and was Director of Intelligence for Central Command Air Forces deployed to Southwest Asia at the beginning of Operation Enduring Freedom. The general commanded the 488th Intelligence Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England, flying RC-135s in combat during the Kosovo Air War. He has also commanded the 609th Air Intelligence Group at Shaw AFB, S.C., and 70th Intelligence Wing at Fort George G. Meade, Md.
The general has previously served as the Director of intelligence at both Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Air Combat Command. Prior to his current assignment, he was Director, ISR Strategy, Integration and Doctrine, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
1982 Bachelor of Science degree in political science, University of Southern Mississippi
1986 Master of Arts degree in international relations, University of Southern California
1986 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1994 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1994 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1998 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. February 1983 - July 1983, student, Signals Intelligence Officers Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. July 1983 - April 1986, Chief, Command, Control and Communications Analysis, 12th Tactical Intelligence Squadron, Bergstrom AFB, Texas
3. April 1986 - June 1989, Chief, Airborne Operations, 6988th Electronic Security Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
4. June 1989 - December 1990, Commander, Detachment 4, 691st Electronic Security Wing, Stuttgart, Germany
5. December 1990 - April 1991, Commander, Operating Location PG, 6975th Electronic Security Squadron, Saudi Arabia
6. July 1991 - July 1993, operations staff officer and executive officer to the Vice Commander, Air Force Intelligence Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
7. July 1993 - June 1994, student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
8. June 1994 - November 1994, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. November 1994 - June 1997, intelligence staff officer and deputy executive officer to the Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
10. July 1997 - July 1998, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 1998 - April 2000, Commander, 488th Intelligence Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
12. April 2000 - June 2002, Commander, 609th Air Intelligence Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
13. July 2002 - December 2003, Commander, 70th Intelligence Wing, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
14. January 2004 - January 2006, Director of Intelligence (A2), Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
15. January 2006 - June 2009, Director of Intelligence, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
16. June 2009 - December 2009, Director, Air Force Cyber Command Integration Team, Office of the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. December 2009 - July 2010, Director, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Strategy, Integration and Doctrine, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. July 2010 - present, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. November 1994 - May 1997, intelligence staff officer and deputy executive assistant to the Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a lieutenant colonel
2. September 2001 - April 2002, Director of Intelligence, Combined Air Operations Center, Southwest Asia, as a colonel
3. October 2008 - May 2009, Deputy Director, Theater Planning and Synchronization Element, U.S. Central Command, Mac Dill AFB, Fla., as a brigadier general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 4, 1982
First Lieutenant Oct. 4, 1984
Captain Oct. 4, 1986
Major March 1, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1997
Colonel April 1, 2000
Brigadier General June 4, 2007
Major General Jan. 5, 2010
(Current as of August 2010)