Died August 23,1973
Harold L. Clark was born in Stillwater, Minn., on Sept. 28, 1893. He attended the Universities of Minnesota and Illinois and enlisted in the Signal Corps Reserve on Sept. 3, 1917, as a flying cadet.
In September 1917 he entered the School of Military Aeronautics at the University of Illinois. He served at Hazelhurst Field, and at Gerstner Field, La., and was appointed a second lieutenant in the Signal Corps Reserve on Feb. 12, 1918. He was then assigned to the 82nd Aero Squadron at Taliaferro Field in April 1918. In October 1918 he went to Long Island, N.Y., for an assignment with the 122nd Aero Squadron, then served as a Flying Instructor at Love Field, Texas, and at Ellington Field, Texas, successively until October 1919. He was then transferred to Kelly Field, Texas, as Supply Officer of the 20th Aero Squadron.
On July 1, 1920, he was commissioned a second lieutenant of Air Service in the Regular Army and entered the Air Service Mechanical School at Kelly Field, Texas, graduating in October of that year. He rejoined the Aero Squadron as Commanding Officer, and in December 1920 was assigned to recruiting duty in Dallas, Texas. He returned to duty at Kelly Field, Texas, in March 1921, for assignment to the 2nd Bombardment Group. In October 1922 he was transferred to McCook Field, Ohio, for special engineering instruction, and in April 1923 went to Wright Field, Ohio, for further study. He was then assigned to the 11th Bombardment Squadron at Langley Field, Va., as Engineering Officer.
He was ordered to Luke Field, Hawaii, in October 1923 for service with the 65th Service Squadron, becoming Assistant Air Officer of the Hawaiian Department until April 1924. He returned to Luke Field for duty with the 6th Pursuit Squadron in March 1925, and served with that unit until September 1926 when he returned to the United States for assignment to the Fairfield Air Intermediate Depot in Ohio as Assistant Engineering Officer.
In September 1927 he was assigned to Kelly Field, Texas, as Transportation Officer of the 10th School Group, and in September 1928 went to Washington, D.C., for duty in the Office of the Chief of Air Corps. He went to Duncan Field, Texas, in January 1930 as Liaison Officer, and in April 1931 went to Barksdale Field, La., to serve during the construction of that post. He remained at Barksdale Field with the 20th Pursuit Group until July 1933, returning to Washington, D.C., for duty in the Office of the Chief of Air Corps.
He entered the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala., in August 1935 and graduated in June 1936. He entered the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and graduated in June 1937. He returned to Hawaii for duty at Fort Shafter and Hickam Field as Supply Officer of the 18th Wing. In August 1939 he again was assigned to duty in the Office of the Chief of Air Corps, Washington, D.C. In October 1939 he took charge of Air Corps Construction for that office.
In September 1940, the general became Assistant Executive Officer for the Supply Division (G4), Office of the Chief of Air Corps, and in March 1942 was assigned to the Supply Division (G4) of the same office. The following May he was ordered to Indianapolis, Ind., for duty at Headquarters, Air Transport Command. He assumed command of the 52nd Troop Carrier Wing, Army Air Base, Pope Field, N.C., in November 1942 and served in this capacity until April 1943 when he was assigned to duty with a Troop Carrier Wing in the North African Theater of Operations. In July 1945, having returned to the United States, he was assigned to Headquarters Army Air Forces, Washington, D.C.
He is rated a command pilot, combat observer and technical observer.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 1, 1920
First Lieutenant July 1, 1920
Captain Feb. 6, 1931
Major June 12, 1939
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 15, 1941
Colonel (temporary) Jan. 5, 1942
Brigadier General (temporary) Sept. 17, 1943
(Current as of July 19, 1945)