General Davies was born on July 12, 1890, in Columbus, Kan. He attended public school and high school in his native city and completed the course at a business college at Fort Scott, Kan. He enlisted in the Signal Corps as a private in the 6th Infantry on June 1, 1912, and served successively as a private first-class, corporal, sergeant and first sergeant before being commissioned a first lieutenant (temporary) in the Signal Corps on Dec. 28, 1917.

During his service as an enlisted man, General Davies was at the Presidio of San Francisco, Calif.; Fort Leavenworth, Kan.; San Diego, Calif.; and in the Philippine Islands. He received his flying instruction in San Diego and at Langley Field, Va. He remained at Langley Field after receiving his wings and became Adjutant there in October 1919, adding the duties of a Squadron Commander in April 1921. As Squadron Commander, he took part in the Mitchell bombing demonstrations off the Virginia coast. He later served as Personnel Adjutant, Trial Judge Advocate, and Post Adjutant at Langley Field. In June 1922 he became Engineering Officer of the 50th Squadron there.

General Davies entered the Air Service Tactical School at Langley Field in October 1923 and graduated in June 1924. He was then transferred to Mitchel Field, N.Y., as Pilot and Instructor. In August 1924 he went to Richards Field, Mo., as Executive Officer of the 8th Attack Wing, Sixth Army, and as Instructor in Army Correspondence Courses. He became Instructor of Reserve Officers at Richards Field in September 1925, and was named Commanding Officer there in September 1926.

In July 1929 General Davies became Executive Officer of the 430th Pursuit Squadron in addition to duties as Commanding Officer at Richards Field. He was transferred to Washington in July 1930 as Assistant Chief of the Personnel Division in the Office of Chief of Air Corps. In October 1934 he was sent to Nichols Field, Philippine Islands, as Post Operations and Engineering Officer until July 1937, when he returned to the United States and was assigned to Kelly Field, Texas, as Secretary and Public Relations Officer of the Air Corps Advanced Flying School. He became Director of Flying Training at Kelly Field in July 1938, and was named Assistant Commandant in January 1940. He was assigned to Headquarters Station Complement at Midland, Texas, on Oct. 23, 1941. On May 1, 1942, he was assigned to headquarters of Sloan Field, Texas. 

During WWII, General Davies served in the North Pacific as Chief of Staff of the 11th Air Force. He retired as Chief of Staff, Air Training Command.

General Davies was rated as a command pilot and combat observer.  He accumulated more than 10,000 flight hours.

He was promoted to captain (temporary) on Sept. 24, 1918, and was commissioned a first lieutenant, Air Service, in the Regular Army on July 1, 1920; captain on Dec. 1, 1930; major (temporary) on March 15, 1935; major (permanent) on June 12, 1939; lieutenant colonel (temporary) on Nov. 16, 1940; colonel (temporary) on Jan. 5, 1942; and to brigadier general (temporary) on April 21, 1942.