Lt. Gen. Anthony J. Rock is the Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. In this capacity, he reports to the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force on matters concerning Air Force effectiveness, efficiency, and the military discipline of active-duty, Air Force Reserve, and Air National Guard forces. He also provides inspection policy and oversees the inspection and evaluation system for all Air Force nuclear and conventional forces; oversees Air Force counterintelligence operations and chairs the Air Force Intelligence Oversight Panel; investigates fraud, waste and abuse; oversees criminal investigations; and provides oversight of complaints resolution programs. General Rock is responsible for two field operating agencies: the Air Force Inspection Agency and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.
General Rock graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio and earned his Air Force commission through Officer Training School. After receiving his wings and serving as a T-37 instructor pilot and flight examiner at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, he served as an F-15C instructor pilot and flight examiner in multiple assignments. During his career he has commanded a fighter squadron, a center, and fighter and air expeditionary wings in Idaho and Iraq. He has held staff assignments at the Joint Warfighting Center, Air Combat Command, U.S. Northern Command, U.S. Forces Iraq, the Air Staff, and the Joint Staff. Prior to his current assignment, General Rock was Chief, Office of the Defense Representative, Pakistan.
The general is a command pilot with more than 4200 flying hours, including over 150 combat hours in the F-15C.
1982 Bachelor of Arts degree in history, University of Texas at San Antonio
1995 Master of Science degree in aviation science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1996 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Master's degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Joint Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala
2010 Senior Executives in National and International Security Course, Harvard University
2013 Joint Flag Officer’s Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala
1. January 1983 - December 1983, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. January 1984 - December 1988, instructor pilot and flight examiner, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. January 1989 - June 1993, instructor pilot, flight examiner and flight commander, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va.
4. June 1993 - July 1995, assistant operations officer, flight examiner and instructor pilot, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. July 1995 - June 1996, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1996 - October 1998, plans and operations officer (J7), Joint Warfighting Center, Fort Monroe, Va.
7. March 1999 - August 1999, operations officer, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
8. August 1999 - June 2001, Commander, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. July 2001 - June 2002, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2002 - July 2004, Commander, Warrior Preparation Center, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
11. July 2004 - June 2005, Vice Commander, 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. June 2005 - June 2006, Deputy Director of Requirements, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
13. June 2006 - September 2007, Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
14. October 2007 - July 2009, Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. July 2009 - December 2010, Commandant, Air Command and Staff College, and Vice Commander, Spaatz Center for Officer Education, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. January 2011 - December 2011, Director, Iraqi Training and Advisory Mission - Air Force, U.S. Forces - Iraq, U.S. Central Command; and Commander, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing, Baghdad, Iraq
17. January 2012 – March 2012, Special Assistant to the Air Force A3/5 Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Plans and Requirements
18. April 2012 – June 2014, Vice Director for Strategic Plans and Policy, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. July 2014 – March 2016, Chief, Office of the Defense Representative, Pakistan, U.S. Embassy, Pakistan
20. May 2016 - present, Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 1996 - October 1998, plans and operations officer (J7), Joint Warfighting Center, Fort Monroe, Va., as a major
2. September 2007 - June 2009, Deputy Director of Operations, U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a brigadier general
3. January 2011 - December 2011, Director, Iraqi Training and Advisory Mission - Air Force, U.S. Forces - Iraq, U.S. Central Command; and Commander, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing, Baghdad, Iraq, as a brigadier general and a major general
4. April 2012 – Jun 2014, Vice Director for Strategic Plans and Policy, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a major general
5. Jun 2014 - March 2016, Chief, Office of the Defense Representative, Pakistan, U.S. Embassy, Pakistan, as a lieutenant general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, T-41, T-6, F-15C and F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 22, 1982
First Lieutenant Dec. 22, 1984
Captain Dec. 22, 1986
Major March 1, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1998
Colonel July 1, 2002
Brigadier General June 20, 2008
Major General Oct. 3, 2011
Lieutenant General July 17, 2014
(Current as of June 2016)