Susan A. O'Neal, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Assistant Deputy Chief for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The deputate is responsible to the Chief of Staff for management and integration of Air Force civil engineering, services, communications operation, logistics readiness, supply, transportation, and aircraft and missile maintenance, as well as setting policy and preparing budget estimates that reflect enhancements to productivity and combat readiness.
Ms. O'Neal entered federal civil services in 1973 and was appointed a logistics management specialist at Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. She has experience in aircraft systems acquisition and logistics support, financial management, and information technology and system development. She has held various line and staff positions throughout the Air Force and within the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Prior to assuming her current position, Ms. O'Neal served as the Director of Plans and Integration at the Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
1973 Bachelor of Science degree in retail management, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
1979 Master of Science degree in logistics management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1988 Air Command and Staff Collage, by seminar
1991 Program for Senior Officials in National Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1992 Defense Systems Management Collage, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1995 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. June 1973 - July 1976, logistics management specialist for material management, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. August 1976 - May 1978, inventory policy and requirements analyst, Material Requirements Division, Headquarters AFLC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. June 1978 - June 1979, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. July 1979 - January 1980, Deputy Program Manager for Israeli F-16 Logistics, Aeronautical System Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. January 1980 - September 1980, logistics analyst, Peace Sigma Program Office, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan AFB, Calif.
6. September 1980 - December 1983, supervisor, Item Management Division, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
7. January 1984 - November 1984, Chief of Investment and Stock Funds, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
8. December 1984 - October 1986, Program Element Monitor for Aircraft Spares, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. October 1986 - August 1988, analyst for Navy programs, Logistics Systems Modernization Office, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1988 - December 1989, senior logistician, Computer-aided Acquisition and Logistics Support Office, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
11. January 1990 - October 1990, Deputy Director of Plans and Programs, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
12. October 1990 - June 1992, civilian executive to the Commander, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
13. July 1992 - February 1993, A-7 and A-10 Deputy System Program Manager, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
14. February 1993 - October 1993, F-111 and EF-111 Deputy System Program Director, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
15. November 1993 - October 1994, A-10 and F-111 System Program Director, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
16. October 1994 - February 1997, Director of Commodities Management, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
17. March 1997 - July 1998, Director, Air Force Personnel Operations Agency, and Director, Personnel Force Development, Washington, D.C.
18. August 1998 - February 2002, Director of Plans and Integration, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. March 2002 - present, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1979 General Edwin W. Rawlings Award for Leadership
1994 Air Force Materiel Command nominee, Air Force Association Outstanding Civilian of the Year Senior Manager
1998 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2000 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2002 Exceptional Civilian Service Award
2004 Distinguished Executive Presidential Rank Award
(Current as of September 2004)