Cheri L. Cannon, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy General Counsel for Fiscal, Ethics, and Administrative Law, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. Ms. Cannon is responsible for providing legal advice to the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force and the Air Staff in all aspects of fiscal and administrative law. As deputy designated agency ethics official and alternate designated agency ethics official, Ms. Cannon provides guidance on standards of ethical conduct, conflict of interest statutes and regulations, financial disclosure and political activities. Additionally, Ms. Cannon is responsible for legal issues involving Air Force organization and administration and civilian personnel law. She advises the headquarters on claims matters, and accident and safety investigations, and adjudicates Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act appeals for the Secretary.
Ms. Cannon graduated from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 1982. She received a Juris Doctorate in 1985 from the Georgetown University Law Center.
Prior to starting her career with the Air Force in 2008, Ms. Cannon held several federal positions in legal departments and in program offices throughout government. Most recently, Ms. Cannon served as Chief Counsel to the Chairman of the Merit Systems Protection Board. Prior to that time, she held the position of Deputy Associate Administrator for Disaster Assistance at the Small Business Administration. At the SBA, she also held senior legal positions as the Associate General Counsel for General Law, Chief Counsel for Administrative Law, Chief Counsel for General Litigation and Trial Attorney. She specialized in defense side federal court litigation, employment and labor litigation in various administrative forums, and fiscal law and she served as the Alternate Designated Agency Ethics Official. She was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2000.
1982 Bachelor of Arts degree in political science (international relations), with honors, University of California, Santa Barbara
1985 Juris Doctor degree, Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C.
2000 Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2006 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2009 U.S. Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Charlottesville
2011 DOD Joint Executive Management Program, University of North Carolina, Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill
1. 1985 - 1987, Associate, Venable, Baetjer, Howard and Civiletti, Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, Md.
2. 1987 - 1990, Associate, Beveridge and Diamond, P.C., Washington, D.C.
3. 1990 - 1996, Trial Attorney and Chief Counsel for General Litigation, Office of Litigation, Office of General Counsel, Small Business Administration, Washington, D.C.
4. 1996 - 2000, Chief Counsel for Administrative Law, Office of General Law, Office of General Counsel, Small Business Administration, Washington, D.C.
5. 2000 - 2003, Associate General Counsel for General Law, Office of General Counsel, Office of General Law, Small Business Administration, Washington, D.C.
6. 2003 - 2006, Deputy Associate Administrator for Disaster Assistance, Small Business Administration, Washington, D.C.
7. 2007 - 2008, Chief Counsel to the Chairman, Merit Systems Protection Board, Washington, D.C.
8. 2008 - present, Deputy General Counsel for Fiscal, Ethics and Administrative Law, Office of the Air Force General Counsel, Washington, D.C.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Maryland State Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeal for the 5th and 6th Circuits
(Current as of September 2012)