Horace L. Larry, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Air Force Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He assists the Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel and Services in delivering services capabilities to optimize Airmen performance through care solutions that help build and maintain resilient, ready Airmen and families. His team provides policy direction, funding advocacy and oversight for the $2.9 billion worldwide services program. This includes physical fitness, peacetime and wartime troop feeding, Air Force mortuary affairs operations, armed forces entertainment, Air Force protocol, lodging and libraries. It also includes The wounded warrior program, the transition assistance program, Airmen and Family Readiness Centers, child development centers, youth centers and a wide spectrum of recreational activities.
Mr. Larry received his Air Force commission in 1975. Over the next 30 years, he was assigned to a variety of installations, to include Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center, the Air Force Services Agency, Headquarters Air Force Services and the Air Force Secretariat level at the Pentagon.
Mr. Larry's leadership positions include Deputy Support Group Commander, Aviano Air Base, Italy; Commander of the Air Force Services Agency, San Antonio, Texas; and Deputy Director of Air Force Services in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics at the Pentagon. He retired from the Air Force in August 2005 as a colonel. Mr. Larry became a civil service employee in 2006 and a federal contractor in 2007, serving as Senior Program Manager for Logistics Applications Inc., providing facilities maintenance and oversight of the Headquarters U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, D.C. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service as Deputy Director of Services July 2009 and became Director of Services August 2018.
1975 Bachelor of Science, Mississippi Valley State University, Bena
1979 Master of Business Administration, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1980 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1983 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by seminar
1990 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1996 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 On-scene Commander's Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Wing Commander's Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Washington, D.C.
2010 Center for Creative Leadership, North Carolina Campus, Greensboro
2010 Air Force Senior Executive Warfighting Perspective Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2011 Joint Executive Management Program, Office of Secretary of Defense
2012 AF Smart Operations for the 21st Century, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
2018 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives Program, Duke University, Durham, N.C.
2020 Kennan-Flagler Business School, Executive Development, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. August 1975–October 1975, Student, Weapons Controller Training, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
2. October 1975–February 1976, Weapons Controller, Hancock Field, N.Y.
3. February 1976–August 1977, Chief, Base Administration, Hancock Field, N.Y.
4. August 1977–November 1977, Chief, Services Division, Hancock Field, N.Y.
5. November 1977–June 1980, Unit Fund Custodian and Chief, Administration, 792nd Radar Squadron, North Charleston Air Force Station, S.C.
6. July 1980–September 1980, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. October 1980–June 1983, Executive Officer to the Civil Engineer and to the Director of Operations; Chief, Base Administration; and Protocol Officer, 40th Tactical Group, Aviano Air Base, Italy
8. July 1983–June 1986, Chief, Morale, Welfare and Recreation, Aviano AB, Italy
9. July 1986–July 1989, Chief, MWR Plans; and Division Chief, MWR Business Branch, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
10. August 1989–June 1990, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 1990–June 1994, MWR and Services Staff Officer and Chief, Plans and Evaluation Division,
Directorate of Services, Office of the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
12. June 1994–July 1995, Military Assistant to the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Force
Management and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
13. August 1995–June 1996, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 1996–July 1998, Deputy Commander, 31st Expeditionary Support Group, Aviano AB, Italy
15. July 1998–August 2001, Commander, Air Force Services Agency, San Antonio, Texas
16. September 2001–August 2005, Deputy Director, Directorate of Services, Deputy Chief of Staff for
Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
17. March 2006–July 2007, Program Manager, Air Force Lodging and Fitness, Directorate of Services,
Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
18. August 2007–July 2009, Senior Program Manager, Logistics Applications Inc., Headquarters U.S.
Department of Energy, Arlington, Va.
19. July 2009–July 2018, Deputy Director, Directorate of Services, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and
Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
20. Aug 2018–present, Director of Services, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
SES Performance Recognition, 2010 - 2020
Exceptional Performance Award, Headquarters Department of Energy
Civilian Achievement Award
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
(Current as of June 2020)