Dr. Kevin T. Geiss, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Airman Systems Directorate, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio which provides science and leading-edge technology to define Airman capabilities, vulnerabilities and effectiveness; train warfighters; integrate operators and weapon systems; protect Air Force personnel; and sustain aerospace operations. The directorate is a 800-person research and development organization that is the heart of Airman-centered science and technology for the Air Force with facilities at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio and Ft. Sam Houston, Texas.
Dr. Geiss enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve in 1986 and served in field artillery, communications and military police units during his service. He spent nine years as a defense contractor supporting Air Force research programs at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He began his civilian career with the Air Force in 2002 in the Human Effectiveness Directorate of the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson AFB. He was then detailed to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, where he performed policy and budget review of Department of Defense science and technology programs and resolved policy and funding issues with the Office of Management and Budget. He was also responsible for leading interagency policy committees on national and homeland security.
In 2008, Dr. Geiss joined the Department of the Army as the Program Director for Energy Security. He was responsible for the development and implementation of the Army Energy Security strategy through coordination across all Army Headquarters staff and Secretariat offices. Dr. Geiss led the Army Energy Security program to address power and energy issues for the facilities and installations domain, in weapon systems, and for contingency operations.
Following his position as Program Director for Energy Security, Dr. Geiss served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Energy, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Logistics in Washington, D.C. Dr. Geiss was responsible for providing oversight and direction for all matters pertaining to the formulation, review, and execution of plans, policies, programs, and budgets for the effective and efficient use of energy to support the global Air Force mission.
1990 Bachelor of Arts degree in chemistry, Cedarville University, Ohio
1993 Master of Science degree in chemistry, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
2001 Doctor of Philosophy degree in zoology, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
2002 Software Professional Development Program, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2005 Executive Education Certificate, The Wharton School, Philadelphia, Penn.
2007 National Senior Intelligence Course, Washington D.C.
2009 Army Force Management Course for General Officers and Senior Executives, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2012 Systems Acquisition Management Course for General/Flag Officers, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2012 DOD Vanguard Senior Executive Leadership Program, Washington, D.C.
2013 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
1. 1986 - 1994, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve
2. 1993 - 2001, scientist, Geo-Centers, Inc., Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
3. 2001 - 2002, department manager and senior scientist, Geo-Centers, Inc., Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
4. 2002 - 2003, senior research scientist, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
5. 2003 - 2005, Associate to the Chief Scientist, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
6. 2006 - 2007, senior policy analyst, Office of Science and Technology Policy, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
7. 2007 - 2008, Assistant Director for National Defense, Office of Science and Technology Policy, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
8. 2008 - 2010, Program Director, Energy Security, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Installations, Energy and Environment, Headquarters Department of the Army, Washington, D.C.
9. 2010 - 2014, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Energy, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Installations, Environment and Logistics, Washington, D.C.
10. 2014 - present, Director, Airman Systems Directorate
, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
2005 Air Force Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2006 Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2009 Army Superior Civilian Service Award (2)
2010 Army Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2012 Wing Public Affairs Officer of the Year, Civil Air Patrol
2013 Service to America Medal for Management Excellence, Partnership for Public Service
2014 Air Force Exceptional Civilian Service Award
(Current as of August 2016)