Mr. Joseph M. McDade Jr., a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Principal Deputy General Counsel of the Air Force. He is the senior civilian career attorney in the Air Force and provides oversight, guidance and direction regarding legal advice on matters arising within the Department of the Air Force.
Mr. McDade has delivered award-winning performances in Air Force legal, personnel and acquisition SES positions. He also had the honor of serving as the Army Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel (Deputy G-1). Prior to entering public service, Mr. McDade worked as an associate in a private law firm from 1988 until 1991 where he specialized in government contract law and lobbying.
1985 Bachelor of Science in International Affairs, cum laude, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Washington, D.C.
1988 Juris Doctor degree, Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C.
1. 1988 - 1991, Attorney, private practice, Washington, D.C.
2. 1991 - 2002, Attorney, Office of the General Counsel, Washington, D.C.
3. 2002 - 2005, Deputy General Counsel for Dispute Resolution, Office of the General Counsel
4. 2005 - 2007, Deputy Director of Airman Development and Sustainment, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel, Washington, D.C.
5. 2007 - 2009, Director, Force Development, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel & Air Force Senior Language Authority, Washington, D.C.
6. 2009 - 2011, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower and Personnel, Washington, D.C.
7. 2011 - 2013, Director, Air Force Small Business Programs, Washington, D.C.
8. 2013 - 2017, Principal Deputy General Counsel, Office of the Air Force General Counsel, Washington, D.C.
9. 2017 - 2018, Acting General Counsel, U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. 2018 - present, Principal Deputy General Counsel, Office of the Air Force General Counsel, Washington, D.C.
1999 Director, Office of Personnel Management, Special Act or Service Award
1999 Secretary of the Air Force Special Act or Service Award
2002 Air Force General Counsel Award
2006 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service (Air Force)
2008 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2009 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service Award (Air Force)
2011 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service Award (Army)
2013 Decoration for Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2015 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
Member, District of Columbia Bar
Member, Pennsylvania Bar
(Current as of March 2018)