Michael D. Petersen, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Assistant Auditor General, Acquisition, Logistics, and Financial Audits Directorate, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is responsible for the planning, execution,and reporting of Air Force-wide audits addressing supply and transportation; maintenance; procurement and contract management; research, development, test and evaluation; major weapon system acquisition; and comptroller to include Financial Improvement and Audit Readiness (FIAR).
Mr. Petersen began his federal career with the Air Force Audit Agency in 1987. He has held positions at various locations to include base-level auditor, audit manager, audit team chief, audit liaison officer, program manager and associate director. As the Chief of Financial and Systems Audits Region, he provided operational guidance and supervision to 185 personnel located at 26 audit locations. Mr. Petersen is a Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Information Systems Auditor and graduate of the Defense Leadership and Management Program. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in February 2012.
1986 Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Utah
1996 Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College
2008 Defense Leadership and Management Program
1. May 1987 - July 1989, Auditor, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. July1989 - July 1992, Auditor, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
3. July 1992 - November 1996, Audit Manager, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
4. November 1996 - August 1998, Audit Team Chief, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. August 1998 - July 1999, Audit Liaison Officer, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. July 1999 - August 2000, Program Manager, Rosslyn Va.
7. August 2000 - February 2004, Associate Director, Special Projects and Financial Support Division, March ARB, Calif.
8. March 2004 - March 2005, Naval War College, Newport R.I.
9. April 2005 - February 2012, Chief of Financial and Systems Audits Region, March ARB, Calif.
10. February 2012 - December 2015, Assistant Auditor General, Operations and Support Audits, Air Force Audit Agency, Joint Base San Antonio - Randolph, Texas
11. January 2016 - present, Assistant Auditor General, Acquisition, Logistics, and Financial Audits, Air Force Audit Agency, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1996 Centrally Directed Audit Project Team of the Year
1997 AFAA Area Audit Office Excellence Award
1998 Centrally Directed Audit Project Team of the Year
1999 Centrally Directed Audit Project Team of the Year
2003 Management Advisory Service Project of the Year
Certified Public Accountant, Washington state, 1991
Certified Internal Auditor, 1995
Certified Information Systems Auditor, 2003
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Information Systems Audit and Control Association
American Society of Military Comptrollers
(Current as of October 2016)