Lara Sayer, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Chief Financial Officer/Comptroller for U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. Ms. Sayer also serves as the Deputy Director, Special Operations Financial Management. She is responsible for special operations budget and execution issues totaling more than $10 billion annually. Her office provides fiscal direction and guidance to the four USSOCOM component commands and a sub-unified command, and regularly interfaces with the Office of the Secretary of Defense, military services and Congressional staffs.
Ms. Sayer, a native of Dayton, Ohio, began her career with the Air Force as a Palace Acquire intern upon graduation from Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio. She has more than 17 years of acquisition experience supporting numerous major defense acquisition programs. She has held progressively more responsible positions within the Air Force in the areas of budget formulation, resource management and program control. Her experience spans several appropriations and functional areas, including budget, earned value management, cost and acquisition.
1995 Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance (Summa cum Laude), Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio.
1997 Master of Business Administration, Management and Marketing, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio.
2004 Professional Military Comptroller School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2013 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy – Senior Acquisition Course, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. 1998 – 1999, Budget Analyst, Financial Analysis, Operations & Maintenance Division, Space & Missile Systems Center, Air Force Material Command, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
2. 1999 – 2003, SBIRS High Financial Manager, Space Based Infrared Systems, SMC, AFSPC, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
3. 2003 – 2005, SBIRS AF Financial Team Lead, Space Based Infrared Systems, SMC, AFSPC, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
4. 2005 – 2005, TSAT and Polar EHF Financial Team Lead, MILSATCOM, SMC, AFSPC, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
5. 2005 – 2006, Executive Officer to the Executive Director, SMC, AFSPC, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
6. 2006 – 2007, Research and Development, Test & Evaluation (RDT&E) Appropriation Manager, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. 2007 – 2009, Chief of Program Control, Development Planning, SMC, AFSPC, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
8. 2009 – 2012, Chief of Program Control, Launch and Range Systems Directorate, SMC, AFSPC, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
9. 2012 - 2013, Student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy (formerly ICAF), Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10 2013 – 2017, Assistant for Special Programs, Budget Investment Directorate, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. 2017- Present, Deputy Chief Financial Officer/Comptroller, Center for Financial Management, USSOCOM, MacDill AFB, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2000, 2005 Letter of Commendation
2001, 2002, 2009 Certificate of Achievement
2006 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2012 ASMC Meritorious Award – Acq/Cost Analysis
2013, 2016 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2014 Outstanding Contribution to Financial Management & Comptroller (SAF/Air Staff Level)
2016 National Intelligence Meritorious Unit Citation
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Member Acquisition Corps
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Women in Defense – Defense Industrial Base Association
DoD Financial Management Certification, Level 3
Certified Defense Financial Manager with Acquisition Specialty
DAWIA - Financial Management and Comptroller, Level III Acquisition Professional
DAWIA - Program Management, Level I Acquisition Professional
(Current as of March 2017)