Maj. Gen. Evan C. Dertien serves as the Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, California. He directs a $31 billion enterprise of more than 19,000 military, civilian and contractor personnel across Edwards AFB, Eglin AFB, Florida and Arnold AFB, Tennessee, and 30 other sites. The AFTC provides developmental test and evaluation of experimental and research, manned and unmanned air, space, and cyber systems for the military services, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, NASA and international partners, in addition to operating the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School.
Maj. Gen. Dertien was commissioned in 1993 from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He served as an operational F-15 pilot and completed three combat deployments prior to graduating from U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School. He then served as an F-15, F-16 and F-22 test pilot and was also assigned as an initial cadre instructor pilot for the first operational F-22 unit at Langley AFB, Virginia. Maj. Gen. Dertien has served as a Flight Test Squadron Commander, Test Wing Commander and various roles at the center-level and MAJCOM.
Maj. Gen. Dertien is a command pilot with over 3,100 flying hours in a variety of aircraft.
1993 Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2005 Master of Aeronautical Sciences, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2006 Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Intermediate Developmental Education Fellowship, Arlington, Va.
2011 Master of National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2019 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. November 1993–December 1994, Student Pilot, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. June 1995–December 1995, F-15 Upgrade Training, 1st Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. December 1995–June 1998, F-15 Pilot, 390th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
4. June 1998–June 2001, F-15 Instructor Pilot, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. June 2001–June 2002, Student, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. June 2002–August 2003, F-16/F-15 Test Pilot, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. August 2003–June 2005, F-22 Test Pilot, 411th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. June 2005–July 2006, F-22 Instructor/Flight Examiner, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2006–June 2007, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Fellowship Intermediate Developmental Education, Arlington, Va.
10. June 2007–June 2008, Operations Officer, F-22 Combined Test Force, Edwards AFB, Calif.
11. July 2008–June 2010, Commander, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. July 2010–June 2011, Student, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2011–March 2012, assignment data masked
14. March 2012–July 2012, Commander, 412th Test Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
15. July 2012–July 2013, assignment data masked
16. July 2013–February 2014, Vice Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
17. February 2014–June 2016, Commander, assignment data masked
18. July 2016–May 2017, Vice Commander, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. May 2017–July 2019, Commander, 96th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
20. July 2019–January 2020, Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
21. January 2020–June 2020, Commander, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
22. June 2020–July 2021, Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
23. July 2021–present, Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,100
Combat hours: more than 180
Aircraft flown: F-15, F-22, F-16 and 25 other aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major Aug. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2017
Major General May 7, 2021
(Current as of March 2023)