Dr. John P. Stopher is the Principal Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force for Space, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. In this role, he advises the SECAF, Under Secretary, and the Chief of Staff of the Air Force on all space-related matters and serves as the Headquarters Air Force official for space matters, to include planning, policy, strategy, international relations, and space interagency relations. Dr. Stopher also serves as the primary HAF interface for space matters to entities and organizations outside the Air Force to include the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Congress, and industry. He directs the Headquarters staff responsible for space policy, issue integration, and strategy, and oversees Air Force integration with the National Security Space Enterprise.
Dr. Stopher's career began in 1988 with Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York, where he worked as a systems engineer on advanced imaging systems, including optics and image processing in the Hawkeye Works facility. Dr. Stopher worked in industry for several years as a senior engineer, then joined the U.S. House of Representatives, Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence as a professional staff member in August 1998. He began his HPSCI work as a program monitor for the National Reconnaissance Office and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency before becoming the Staff Director for the Subcommittee on Technical and Tactical Intelligence and focusing on the authorization and oversight of all technical programs in the intelligence community. He also served as the HPSCI Budget Director and was responsible for the preparation, presentation, and negotiation of the annual Intelligence Authorization Bill.
Most recently, Dr. Stopher was the founder and president of 377 Omega, Inc., a consulting services company focused on national security, space, and intelligence community technology and policy.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, University of Buffalo, Buffalo, N.Y.
1988 Master of Science degree in electrical engineering, University of Buffalo, Buffalo, N.Y.
1994 Doctor of Philosophy in electrical engineering, University of Buffalo, Buffalo, N.Y.
1. May 1988 – August 1990, systems engineer, Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, N.Y.
2. August 1990 – August 1994, research assistant, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of
3. September 1994 – July 1997, Principal Member of the Technical Staff, TASC, Reston, Va.
4. August 1997 – August 1998, Principal Member of the Technical Staff, Seicorp, Inc., Manassas, Va.
5. August 1998 – January 2007, Budget Director and Senior Technical Staff, U.S. House of Representatives,
Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Washington, D.C.
6. January 2007 – September 2017, Founder and President, 377 Omega, Inc., Rockville, Md.
7. August 2017 – Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force for Space and Director, Principal DoD Space Advisor Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. April, 2018 – Principal Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force for Space, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
(Current as of June 2018)