Maj. Gen. John Allen is the Commander, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He leads an intermediate level headquarters responsible for providing installation and mission support capabilities to 78 Air Force and Space Force installations, nine major commands and two direct reporting units with an annual budget of approximately $10 billion. One of six centers assigned to Air Force Materiel Command, the unit’s cross-functional team integrates civil engineering, operational acquisition, security forces, Airmen and family services, base communications, chaplain services, financial management, logistics readiness, and public affairs programs across ten detachments and four primary subordinate units. Those units are the Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Air Force Installation Contracting Center, Air Force Security Forces Center and Air Force Services Center.
Maj. Gen. Allen graduated from Virginia Tech in 1990. He entered active duty in 1992. He has served in a variety of squadron level civil engineer assignments as well as assignments on wing, major command and the Headquarters U.S. Air Force staff. Additionally, he has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels.
Prior to his current position, the general was the Commander, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, AFIMSC, Air Force Materiel Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Master of Science, Engineering Management, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2018 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2019 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2020 LOGTECH Executive Program in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2021 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, San Antonio, Texas
2021 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
1. January 1992–September 1995, Programmer and Readiness Flight Chief, 23rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
2. December 1993–March 1994, Civil Engineer, 4404th Civil Engineer Squadron, King Abdul-Aziz Air Base, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
3. September 1995–September 1996, Maintenance Engineer, 8th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
4. October 1996–February 1998, Base Development Chief, 3rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
5. March 1998–July 2000, Executive Officer, 3rd Wing, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
6. July 2000–June 2003, International Environmental Program Manager and Legislative Affairs Program Manager, Office of the Civil Engineer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. June 2003–July 2005, Operations Flight Commander, 1st Civil Engineer Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
8. July 2005–June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2006–July 2007, Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Balad AB, Iraq
10. July 2007–July 2009, Commander, 28th Civil Engineer Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
11. July 2009–June 2010, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
12. June 2010–July 2011, Chief, Programs Division, Office of the Civil Engineer, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. August 2011–March 2012, Commander, 577th Expeditionary Prime BEEF Group, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
14. March 2012–August 2012, Commander, 1st Expeditionary Civil Engineer Group, Southwest Asia
15. September 2012–April 2013, Senior Military Assistant, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Installations, Environment & Logistics, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. April 2013–July 2015, Commander, 633rd Air Base Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
17. July 2015–June 2017, Chief, Senate Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. June 2017–June 2018, Director of Staff, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. June 2018–July 2020, Director of Civil Engineering, Deputy Chief of Staff, Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. July 2020–August 2022, Commander, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, AFMC, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
21. August 2022–present, Commander, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, AFMC, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one device
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with two service stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with service star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with service star
Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 15, 1992
First Lieutenant July 7, 1993
Captain July 7, 1995
Major May 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Aug. 1, 2011
Brigadier General June 8, 2018
Major General May 7, 2021
(Current as of August 2022)