Maj. Gen. David B. Lyons is the Inspector General, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He leads more than 150 experts responsible for conducting more than 75 inspections annually. By spearheading both a rigorous inspection schedule and an open-complaint resolution process, Maj. Gen. Lyons ensures combat readiness, regulatory compliance, and oversight of 79 active and gained wings or equivalent, and more than 156,000 Airmen.
Maj. Gen. Lyons entered the Air Force in 1992, through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He attended Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training and has held various operational F-35, F-16 and A-10 flying positions. Maj. Gen. Lyons served as a Jump-Battalion Air Liaison Officer for the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division and as a strategist for the planning cell, Checkmate. Additionally, he commanded a fighter squadron, operations group, fighter wing and air expeditionary wing. He holds advanced degrees from George Washington University, Air Command and Staff College, the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, and the Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy.
Prior to assuming his current position, Maj. Gen. Lyons was the Senior Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. He is a command pilot with more than 2,350 flying hours in the F-35A, F-16C, A-10A/C, T-38 and T-37, to include 596 combat flying hours. He previously deployed in support of operations Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Freedom’s Sentinel, and Resolute Support.
1992 ROTC Distinguished Graduate, Bachelor of Science, Industrial Management, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
1998 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2005 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2016 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2019 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. July 1993–February 1995, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. Feb. 1995–July 1995, Student, A-10 Initial Qualification Training, Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. July 1995–August 1996, A/OA-10 Attack Pilot, Forward Air Controller, Life Support Officer, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
4. August 1996–July 1998, A/OA-10 Flight Lead, FAC, Assist Weapons Officer, Jump Battalion Air Liaison Officer, Tactical Air Control Party (82nd Airborne Division), 74th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. July 1998–December 2000, Air Force Intern, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. December 2000–June 2003, F-16CJ Flight Commander, Chief of Current Operations, Assistant Director of Operations, 14th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
7. June 2003–July 2004, F-16CJ Instructor Pilot, Director of Operations, 35th Operations Support Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
8. July 2004–July 2005, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2005–June 2006, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2006–June 2007, Chief, U.S. Central Command Planning Team, Headquarters Air Force/A5XK Checkmate, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. June 2007–June 2008, Airpower Strategist, Chief of Staff of the Air Force’s Strategic Studies Group, Checkmate, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. June 2008–June 2009, Chief of Safety, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
13. June 2009–July 2010, F-16CG Flight Examiner, Commander, 34th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
14. July 2010–June 2011, Student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resources Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
15. June 2011–June 2013, Commander, 52nd Operations Group, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
16. June 2013–June 2015, Senior Military Advisor to the Secretary of Defense's Representative in Europe and U.S. NATO Defense Advisor, Brussels, Belgium
17. June 2015–June 2017, Commander, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
18. June 2017–June 2018, Vice Commander, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
19. June 2018–June 2019, Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
20. June 2019–June 2021, Senior Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
21. July 2021–present, Inspector General, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2013–June 2015, Senior Military Advisor to the Secretary of Defense's Representative in Europe and U.S. NATO Defense Advisor, Brussels, Belgium
2. June 2019–June 2021, Senior Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,350
Aircraft flown: F-35A, F-16C/D, A-10A/C, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross with “V” device
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters and “C” device
Aerial Achievement Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
(Current as of October 2021)