Brig. Gen. Jimmy R. Canlas is the Commander, Defense Logistics Agency Energy, Fort Belvoir, Virginia. Defense Logistics Agency Energy is a major subordinate command of the Defense Logistics Agency. As the Commander, he is responsible for providing the Department of Defense and other government agencies with comprehensive energy solutions in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
Brig. Gen. Canlas was commissioned in 1992 as a distinguished graduate from the University of Texas at San Antonio. He earned his pilot wings in 1994, and has commanded an airlift squadron, an expeditionary group, an airlift wing, and the DoD’s largest Air Operations Center. He is a joint qualified officer having served with the United Nations Command in South Korea and on the U.S. European Command (J-4) staff in Germany. Other staff tours include Headquarters Air Force and Headquarters Air Mobility Command. Prior to his current position, he served as the Commander of the 618th AOC.
Brig. Gen. Canlas is a command pilot with more than 4,400 hours in the C-21A, KC-135R and C-17A.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, University of Texas San Antonio
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Masters of Operational Art and Sciences, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Masters of Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kennan Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2018 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2018 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2018 Joint Air and Space Operations Center Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2020 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, San Antonio, Texas
2020 Systems Acquisition Management Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2020 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 Transnational Issues, Alan Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1993–July 1994, Student, Class 94-11, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 1994–May 1997, C-21A Instructor Aircraft Commander, Chief of Life Support, Operations Group Executive Officer, Scott AFB, Ill.
3. June 1997–March 2000, KC-135R Instructor Aircraft Commander, Aircrew Scheduler, Senior Training Flight Instructor Pilot, Kadena Air Base, Japan
4. March 2000–June 2003, C-17A Lead Airdrop Evaluator Aircraft Commander, Pilot Scheduler, Command Post Duty Officer, Chief of Tactics, Assistant Operations Officer, McChord AFB, Wash.
5. June 2003–July 2005, Chief of C-17 Tactical Procedures and Policies, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. August 2005–June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 2006–May 2007, International Military Affairs/Plans Officer, United Nations Command Military Armistice Commission, Yongsan Garrison, South Korea
8. May 2007–April 2008, Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, United Nations Command and U.S. Forces Korea, Yongsan Garrison, South Korea
9. May 2008–March 2010, Commander, 45th Airlift Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
10. April 2010–December 2011, Senior Executive Officer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. January 2012–June 2012, Deputy Chief, Global Mobility Division, Director of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2012–May 2013, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 2013–June 2014, Chief, U.S. European Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
14. July 2014–June 2016, Vice Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C. (November 2014–March 2015, Commander, 385th Air Expeditionary Group, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
15. June 2016–July 2018, Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
16. July 2018–January 2019, Vice Commander, 618th Air Operations Center (Tanker Airlift Control Center), Scott AFB, Ill.
17. January 2019–June 2020, Commander, 618th Air Operations Center (TACC), Scott AFB, Ill.
18. June 2020–present, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency Energy, Fort Belvoir, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. Jun 2006–April 2008, International Military Affairs/Plans Officer, United Nations Command Military Armistice Commission, then, Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, United Nations Command and U.S. Forces Korea, Yongsan Garrison, South Korea, as a major
2. June 2013–June 2014, Chief, U.S. European Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany, as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
3. June 2020–present, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency Energy, Fort Belvoir, Va., as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,400
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-21A, KC-135R and C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 14, 1992
First Lieutenant Nov. 7, 1994
Captain Nov. 7, 1996
Major May 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2008
Colonel Aug. 1, 2014
Brigadier General Oct. 2, 2019
(Current as of September 2022)