Brig. Gen. Gregory Kreuder is the Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. The wing's mission is to train the world’s greatest fighter pilots and combat-ready Airmen. As part of Air Education and Training Command, and home to 28 squadrons with both F-16 Fighting Falcon and F-35A Lightning II aircraft, the 56th FW is the largest fighter wing in the Air Force and graduates more than 105 F-35 pilots, 188 F-16 pilots and 300 air control professionals annually. Additionally, the 56th FW oversees the Gila Bend Air Force Auxiliary Field and is steward of the Barry M. Goldwater Range, a military training range spanning more than 1.7 million acres of Sonoran Desert.
Brig. Gen. Kreuder commissioned in 1995 as a distinguished graduate of Officer Training School. His fighter assignments include duties as an instructor pilot, flight examiner, weapons officer, operations officer, squadron commander, vice wing commander, and air operations center commander. He is a command pilot with more than 2,700 hours in the F-16 Fighting Falcon, including 350 combat hours. Prior to Brig. Gen. Kreuder’s current assignment, he served as the Senior Defense Official, Defense Attaché‒Iraq, Baghdad.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Rice University, Houston
1994 Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Texas, Austin
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 F-16 Weapons Instructor Course, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Master of Military Operational Art & Science, Air Command & Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Master of Airpower Art & Science, School of Advance Air & Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1995‒August 1996, Outstanding Graduate, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 1997‒July 1997, Student, F-16 Training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. September 1997‒September 1998, Fighter Pilot, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
4. October 1998‒December 2000, Flight Lead, 69th Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
5. January 2001‒January 2004, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Flight Commander, 310th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. January 2004‒June 2004, Student, F-16 Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. July 2004‒August 2006, Weapons Officer, Flight Commander, 523rd Fighter Squadron, and Chief, Wing Weapons and Tactics, 27th Operational Support Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
8. August 2006‒August 2007, Wing Weapons and Tactics Flight Commander, 51st Operational Support Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
9. August 2007‒June 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2008‒June 2009, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. August 2009‒June 2012, Director of Operations, 14th Fighter Squadron, and Commander, 13th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
12. July 2012‒July 2014, Joint Doctrine Planner; Executive Assistant to the Director, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2014‒July 2015, Vice Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
14. July 2015‒June 2016, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2016‒June 2017, Chief, Air Force Division, United States Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
16. June 2017‒March 2019, Commander, 607th Air Operations Center, Headquarters Seventh Air Force, Osan AB, South Korea
17. March 2019‒June 2019, Deputy Chief, Office of Security Cooperation – Iraq, U.S. Embassy Baghdad
18. June 2019‒May 2020, Senior Defense Official, Defense Attaché – Iraq, U.S. Embassy Baghdad
19. May 2020‒present, Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012–July 2014, Joint Doctrine Planner and Executive Assistant to the Director, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
2. June 2016–June 2017, Chief, Air Force Division, United States Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, as a colonel
3. March 2019–June 2019, Deputy Chief, Office of Security Cooperation – Iraq, U.S. Embassy Baghdad, as a colonel
4. June 2019–May 2020, Senior Defense Official, Defense Attaché – Iraq, U.S. Embassy Baghdad, as a brigadier general
Rating: command Pilot
Flight hours: 3,000
Aircraft flown: F-35, T-37, T-38, F-16 Blocks 25-52
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 23, 1995
First Lieutenant June 23, 1997
Captain June 23, 1999
Major Nov. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2009
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General April 2, 2020
(Current as of May 2020)