John J. Carbone, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of the Civilian Force Management Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. The directorate is responsible for establishing force management policies for more than 200,000 total force appropriated and non-appropriated fund civilian personnel. These policies guide the recruitment, hiring, management, development, support and retention of the civilian workforce.
Mr. Carbone was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2019. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Assistant Deputy for Civilian Personnel in the Department of the Army. Mr. Carbone was responsible for advising the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army Civilian Personnel, the Assistant Secretary of the Army Manpower and Reserve Affairs and other members of the Army Secretariat and Army Staff on matters pertaining to the full range of civilian human resources management.
Over the course of his 20 plus year civilian career, Mr. Carbone has served in a variety of high-impact positions at the tactical, operational and strategic levels. He led efforts to establish new programs and enhance capability in areas such as civilian workforce forecasting and planning, strategic recruitment, civilian marketing and outreach, special emphasis program recruitment, wounded warrior referral and placement, civilian personnel policy development and knowledge management, delegation of CHR authority process reform, workforce shaping and legislation development.
1994 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of Vermont, Burlington
1997 Master of Public Administration, University of Vermont, Burlington
2018 Advanced Course (Phase I), Civilian Education System, U.S. Army Combined Arms Center, by correspondence
2020 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Institute for Defense and Business, San Antonio, Texas
2021 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2022 Advanced Professional Executive Senior Orientation Program, Office of the Secretary of Defense Senior Executive Management Office, Washington, D.C.
2022 Executive Leadership Program in Managing for Inclusion, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1987–August 1990, Combat Engineer, 307th Engineer Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division, Army, Fort Bragg, N.C.
2. August 1990–August 1991, Infantryman Mountain Warfare, Vermont National Guard Try One Program, Ethan Allen Firing Range, Jericho, Vt.
3. August 1995–August 1997, Complex Coordinator, Residential Life Department, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.
4. August 1998–January 2003, Resource Center Advisor, Vermont Student Assistance Corporation Nonprofit, Winooski, Vt.
5. January 2003–January 2005, Human Resources Specialist Department of Army Civilian, Training, Education and Development System Intern, Civilian Human Resources Agency, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.
6. January 2005–May 2006, Human Resources Specialist, Northeast Civilian Personnel Operations Center, Civilian Human Resources Agency, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.
7. May 2006–May 2008, Senior Human Resources Specialist Staffing/Classification/ Mission Essential Requirements, Camp Zama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
8. May 2008–September 2009, Senior Human Resources Specialist Special Emphasis Recruitment, Headquarters, Civilian Human Resources Agency, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.
9. September 2009–February 2015, Army Staffing and Classification Proponent, Headquarters, Civilian Human Resources Agency, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.
10. February 2015–August 2019, Assistant Deputy for Civilian Personnel, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army, Assistant Secretary of the Army Manpower and Reserve Affairs, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. August 2019–June 2023, Deputy Director of Civilian Force Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. June 2023–present, Director of Civilian Force Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Army Distinguished Civilian Service Medal
Army Commander’s Award for Civilian Service Special Act Awards/QSIs
Army Achievement Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
Association of the United States Army
American Society for Public Administration
82nd Airborne Division Association
(Current as of August 2023)