Terry W. Phillips, a member of the Senior Executive Service, serves as the Executive Director, Office of Special Investigations, Office of Special Projects and United States Air Force and Space Force Special Access Program Security Director. Mr. Phillips directs 427 personnel at 41 field offices delivering security and counterintelligence support protecting advanced Air Force, Space Force and Department of Defense weapon systems, technologies, and operations.
Mr. Phillips received a commission in the United States Air Force through the ROTC Program at Auburn University, Alabama. After graduating from the Special Investigations Academy in 1997, Mr. Phillips conducted counterintelligence operations and criminal investigations at Ramstein Air Base, Germany, and
Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina. Mr. Phillips transitioned to civil service in 2001.
Mr. Phillips served as the OSI Director of Counterintelligence, where he managed the Air Force’s counterintelligence program. In a joint duty assignment, he led as Director of Counterintelligence for U.S. European Command and U.S. Counterintelligence Representative to NATO. He served as the Deputy Director overseeing OSI support to Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command. He led OSI contingency operations and planning as the OSI Warfighting Director; Director of Operations for the OSI Anti-Terrorism Specialty Team; and Special Agent In Charge, Kirkuk Air Base, Iraq.
1991 Bachelor of Mathematics, Auburn University, Ala.
1994 Master of Arts, Education Administration, Chapman University, Orange, Calif.
1997 Air Force Special Investigations Academy, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
1998 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Federal Executive Institute, Office of Personnel Management, Charlottesville, Va.
2009 Executive Development Seminar, OPM, Shepherdstown, W.Va.
2015 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, National Defense University Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2017 Department of Defense Senior Leadership Development Program, Washington, D.C.
1.September 1992–June 1994 Executive Officer, 330th Flying Training Squadron, Castle Air Force Base, Calif.
2. June 1994–December 1996, Emergency Actions Officer, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
3. January 1997–July 1998, Special Agent, Office of Special Investigations, Detachment 324, Pope AFB, N.C.
4. January 2001–June 2002, Consolidated Adjudications Facility Program Security Officer, OSI Office of Special Projects, Langley AFB, Va.
5. June 2002–June 2004, Director of Operations, OSI Anti-Terrorism Specialty Team, Lackland AFB, Texas (November 2003–March 2004, Special Agent in Charge, Field Operating Location Echo, Kirkuk AB, Iraq)
6. June 2004–July 2006, Assistant Director for Plans and Readiness, Headquarters OSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. July 2006–July 2009, Deputy Director, OSI Field Investigations Region 3, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. July 2009–July 2012, Director of Counterintelligence, Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
9. July 2012–July 2015, Director of Counterintelligence, Headquarters OSI, Quantico, Va.
10. July 2015–June 2016, Student, National Defense University, Dwight D. Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2016–December 2016, Deputy Director, OSI Office of Special Projects, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C.
12. January 2017–present, Executive Director, OSI Office of Special Projects and Special Access Programs Security Director, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Meritorious Civilian Service Award with two oak leaf clusters
Office of Special Investigations Senior Civilian of the Year
Bronze Star Medal
Squadron Officer School Writing Award
John W. Wrentmore Award, Special Investigations Course, OSI Academy Distinguished Military Graduate, Auburn University
William Nicholas Award for Most Outstanding Auburn University Military Graduate
(Current as of December 2020)