Brig. Gen. Michael A. Battle is the Mobilization Assistant to the Deputy Judge Advocate General, Arlington, Virginia. Brig. Gen. Battle is responsible for assisting the Deputy Judge Advocate General in the professional oversight of more than 2,200 judge advocates, 350 civilian attorneys, 1,400 enlisted paralegals, and 500 civilians in the Total Force Judge Advocate’s Corps worldwide. Brig. Gen. Battle is responsible for overseeing an array of military justice, operational, international and civil law functions at every level of command and providing legal advice to the Air Staff and agencies of the Department of the Air Force.
Brig. Gen. Battle graduated from the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Finance. He received a Juris Doctorate from the University of Arkansas College of Law. Brig. Gen. Battle is admitted to practice law in the states of Arkansas and California.
Brig. Gen. Battle entered active-duty service in 1992 and was assigned as an Assistant Staff Judge Advocate to the 366th Wing, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. In his civilian job, Brig. Gen. Battle works for the Treasury Department as Bureau of Engraving & Printing Assistant Chief Counsel, supervising legal personnel in the Western Currency Facility in Fort Worth, Texas.
1988 Bachelor of Science, Finance, University of Central Florida, Orlando
1991 Juris Doctor, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
2003 Federal Executive Institute: Leadership for a Democratic Society, Charlottesville, Va.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Montgomery, Ala.
2008 Harvard University Kennedy School of Government: Senior Executive Fellowship, Cambridge, Mass.
2010 Air War College, Montgomery, Ala.
1. April 1992-May 1995, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho
2. May 1995-November 1996, Associate Counsel for Ethics & Personnel, Defense Contract Management Agency, Western District, El Segundo, Calif.
3. July 2000-March 2001, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Individual Mobilization Augmentee, Category B Reserve, Dyess AFB, Abilene, Texas
4. March 2001-August 2005, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 301st Fighter Wing, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas
5. August 2005-January 2008, Staff Judge Advocate, 301st Fighter Wing, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas
6. January 2008-August 2012, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 10th Air Force, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas (October-November 2011, deployed Staff Judge Advocate, 313th Air Expeditionary Wing)
7. August 2012-July 2013, IMA, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
8. July 2013-June 2016, Staff Judge Advocate, 10th Air Force, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas
9. July 2016-November 2016, IMA to the Air Education and Training Command SJA, Randolph AFB, Texas
10. December 2016-August 2018, IMA to the Air Mobility Command SJA, Scott AFB, IlI.
11. August 2018-September 2019, Mobilization Augmentee to the JAA Director, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Administrative Law Directorate, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. October 2019-September 2020, MA to the Air Force Legal Operations Agency Commander, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
13. September 2020-February 2021, MA to the Director, Military Justice and Discipline, Headquarters Air Force, Commander, JB Andrews, Md.
14. February 2021-present, MA to the Deputy Judge Advocate General, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant April 6, 1992
Captain Nov. 30, 1992
Major Sept. 13, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 2, 2007
Colonel Apr. 1, 2012
Brigadier General Feb. 25, 2021
(Current as of March 2021)