Brig. Gen. Robert D. Davis is the Commander, 378th Air Expeditionary Wing, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The 378th AEW provides the Commander, Air Forces Central Command, tactical air and ground attack, aeromedical evacuation capability, and provides a responsive, staging and operational air base with integrated air defense and forward-based air power. As the 378th AEW Commander, he is responsible for the plans, support and execution of military operations in support of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and for providing counter-air, aerial interdiction, and close-air support capabilities to U.S. Central Command.
Brig. Gen. Davis was commissioned in 1996 as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program at Texas A&M University. Following Undergraduate Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, he was assigned to the F-15C Eagle and later transitioned to the F-22A Raptor. He is a Distinguished Graduate of Undergraduate Pilot Training, F-15C initial training, and the USAF Weapons School. Brig. Gen. Davis has deployed twice to Turkey in support of Operation Northern Watch, once to Southwest Asia as the 525th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron Commander, and served in Iraq as the Director of Security Assistance in the U.S. Embassy-Baghdad. Brig. Gen. Davis has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels. Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Davis was the Vice Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado.
Brig. Gen. Davis is a command pilot with more than 2,500 hours, including 90 combat hours.
1996 Bachelor of Business Administration/Management, Texas A&M University, College Station
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Distinguished graduate, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Master of Business Administration, Touro University International, by correspondence
2009 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Military Arts and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Master of Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 USAF Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2019 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. October 1996–August 1998, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1998–March 1999, Student, F-15C Basic Course, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. April 1999–July 2002, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 390th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
4. August 2002–July 2005, F-15C Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, and Weapons Officer, 27th Fighter Squadron and 94th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
5. August 2005–July 2008, F-15C Instructor Pilot and Assistant Operations Officer, 433rd Weapons Squadron, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. August 2008–July 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. August 2009–June 2013, Chief of Safety, 3rd Wing; Operations Officer, 90th Fighter Squadron; Commander, 525th Fighter Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
8. July 2013–May 2014, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2014–June 2015, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
10. July 2015–May 2017, Commander, 325th Operations Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
11. June 2017–June 2018, Director, Security Assistance, Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq, U.S. Embassy-Baghdad
12. August 2018–July 2020, Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
13. July 2020–June 2021, Vice Director of Operations, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. June 2021–present, Commander, 378th Air Expeditionary Wing, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2017–June 2018, Director, Security Assistance, Office of Security Cooperation–Iraq, U.S. Embassy– Baghdad, as a colonel
2. July 2020–June 2021, Vice Director of Operations, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,500, including 90 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, F-15C/D, F-22, F-16, C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
“Forward Arming and Refueling Points for Fighter Aircraft: Power Projection in an Antiaccess Environment,” Air & Space Power Journal, September-October 2014
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 13, 1996
First Lieutenant Sept. 13, 1998
Captain Sept. 13, 2000
Major Aug. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel Aug. 1, 2015
Brigadier General Frocked
(Current as of June 2021)