Timothy A. Gerald, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director of Security Forces, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible for supporting the Director of Security Forces by providing executive leadership, direction, broad technical knowledge, and executive-level strategic continuity for a worldwide force of 38,000 active-duty and Reserve component security forces personnel conducting base defense operations, including physical security, antiterrorism, force protection and policing. He also serves as the senior Air Force civilian and functional manager overseeing all matters concerning the utilization, development, and career field management of the 4,600-person Department of the Air Force civilian security and police force. Finally, he serves as the senior Authorizing Official for all Security Forces technology systems. Prior to his current position, Mr. Gerald served as the Chief, Requirements and Readiness Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
Mr. Gerald enlisted in the Air Force in September 1985 and graduated from both the Security Specialist and Air Base Ground Defense courses as an Honor Graduate. He served 22 years on active duty and held a variety of positions in the Security Forces career field, as well as special duty assignments as an Airman Leadership School Instructor and as a Ceremonial Guardsman with the United States Air Force Honor Guard. He also deployed in support of the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Since his retirement in 2007, he has held various senior positions in the private and public sectors.
1988 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course
1990 Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School
1993 Associate of Science, Security Administration, Community College of the Air Force
1993 A.S., Instructional Technologies and Military Science, Community College of the Air Force
1996 Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2003 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2005 Bachelor of Science, Management, National Louis University, Chicago, Ill.
2010 Master of Arts, Homeland Security, American Military University, Charles Town, W.Va.
2010 Senior Executive Development Seminar, Center for Leadership and Management, Washington, D.C.
2018 Senior Executive Fellows Program, JFK School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2022 Department of Defense Advanced Professional Executive Senior Executive Service Orientation Program, Washington, D.C.
2022 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2022 FBI –LEEDA Executive Leadership Institute, Fort Worth, Texas
2022 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Washington, D.C.
2022 Senior Executives in National and International Security, JFK School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. March 1986–January 1988, Nuclear Security Response Team Member and Entry Controller, 554th Security Support Squadron; and Ground Combat Training Instructor, 4554th Ground Combat Training Squadron (Silver Flag Alpha), Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2. February 1988–February 1989, Fire Team Leader (Ground Launched Cruise Missile), 487th Missile Defense Squadron, Comiso Air Station, Sicily
3. March 1989–October 1990, Nuclear Security Response Team Leader, 842nd Security Police Squadron and Air Base Defense Instructor, 842nd Security Police Group, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
4. November 1990–February 1992, Nuclear Security Response Team Leader and Training Instructor, 401st Security Police Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
5. March 1992–November 1993, Airman Leadership School Instructor, 401st Support Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
6. December 1993–May 1999, Security Response Team Leader; Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Training; NCOIC, Arms and Equipment; and Raven Program Manager, 89th Security Forces Squadron, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
7. June 1999–May 2003, Superintendent, Ceremonial Flight and Superintendent, Resources and Training, United States Air Force Honor Guard, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C.
8. June 2003–May 2007, Flight Chief; NCOIC, Installation Security; and Operations Superintendent, 316th Security Forces Squadron, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
9. June 2007–May 2008, Operations Manager, McNeil Technologies, Springfield, Va.
10. May 2008–December 2008, Chief, Physical Security Branch, Office of Personnel Management, Washington, D.C.
11. January 2009–March 2012, Manager, Security and Investigations Division, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Washington, D.C.
12. April 2012–June 2013, Deputy Director, Office of Security, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2013–February 2014, Deputy Director, Office of Human Resources, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Washington, D.C.
14. February 2014–August 2015, Senior Security Officer, Veterans Health Administration, Washington, D.C.
15. August 2015–December 2016, Law Enforcement Program Manager, Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
16. December 2016–July 2020, Chief of Security Forces, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
17. July 2020–June 2021, Chief, Requirements and Readiness Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. July 2021–present, Deputy Director of Security Forces, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with one service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Medal with gold border
Security Specialist Technical School, Honor Graduate
Air Base Ground Defense Course, Honor Graduate
Ground Launched Cruise Missile Defense Course, Honor Graduate
Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Distinguished Graduate
Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Distinguished Graduate
United States Air Force Honor Guard Ceremonial Guardsman of the Year
United States Air Force Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award–SNCO Category
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Air Force Security Forces Association
Physical Security Professional Certification
(Current as of January 2023)