Brig. Gen. Jeffrey W. Nelson is the Deputy Commander, Nineteenth Air Force, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. He assists the Commander in management and execution of the Air Education and Training Command flying training mission, from initial screening to advanced combat crew training. Nineteenth Air Force is composed of 32,000 total force personnel and 1,530 aircraft assigned to 17 total force wings located across the United States. The command is responsible for more than 45% of the U.S. Air Force’s annual flying hour program and directs aircrew training courses cumulating in over 21,000 graduates annually.
Brig. Gen. Nelson received his commission as a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1997. He has commanded at the squadron level and three times at the wing level. His staff assignments include Headquarters Air Force, U.S. Central Command, and the 607th Air Operations Center, South Korea. He has flown combat missions in support of operations in Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria logging more than 500 combat hours.
Brig. Gen. Nelson is a weapons officer and command pilot with more than 4,400 flight hours. Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Nelson was the Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2005 C-17A Weapons Instructor Course, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 National Defense Fellow, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
2017 Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JPME-II), Norfolk, Va.
2018 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kennan Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2021 Senior Leader Security Seminar, Dahlgren, Va.
1. August 1997–September 1998, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1998–December 1998, Student, C-17A Copilot Initial Qualification course, Altus AFB, Okla.
3. January 1999–June 2002, Wing Mission Director and C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, 437th Operations Support Squadron and 17th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
4. June 2002–June 2003, Intern, Air Force Intern Program, Office of the Secretary of Defense and Headquarters Air Force Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
5. June 2003–June 2006, Assistant Director of Operations, Flight Commander, and C-17A Evaluator Aircraft Commander, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. June 2006–June 2009, Operations Officer, Course Director, Weapons Officer, and C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, 57th Weapons Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
7. June 2009–June 2010, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2010–June 2012, Strategic Planner, Strategy, Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
9. June 2012–January 2014, Commander, 58th Airlift Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
10. January 2014–June 2014, Deputy Commander, 97th Mission Support Group, Altus AFB, Okla.
11. July 2014–June 2015, National Defense Fellow, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2015–June 2016, Chief, Strategy Division, 607th Air Operations Center, Osan Air Base, South Korea
13. June 2016–July 2017, Vice Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
14. July 2017–September 2018, Commander, 628th Air Base Wing and Commander, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
15. September 2018–July 2020, Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
16. July 2020–August 2021, Director, Checkmate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. August 2021–May 2022, Director, Department of the Air Force Transition Cell, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. May 2022–June 2023, Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
19. June 2023–present, Deputy Commander, Nineteenth Air Force, Joint Base San Antonio–Randolph, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2010–June 2012, Strategic Planner, Strategy, Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., as a major and lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,400
Aircraft flown: T-37B, T-1A, C-17A, C-5M, KC-135R/T, KC-10A, and RC-135V/W
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
(Current as of November 2023)