Wendy J. Kay, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Security, Special Program Oversight and Information Protection, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Ms. Kay was born and raised in Minden, Iowa. She graduated from Briar Cliff University, Sioux City, Iowa, in 1988 and joined the Navy as an intelligence officer in 1989. She simultaneously transitioned to the Navy reserve intelligence program and became a Navy civilian intelligence analyst in 1991. Ms. Kay has 23 years in Navy intelligence conducting operational, strategic and law enforcement intelligence analysis related to counterdrug, civil maritime, and other topical intelligence issues. She moved to the Deputy Under Secretary of the Navy’s (DUSN) staff in 2007 and was appointed to the Senior Executive Service. Ms. Kay established the DUSN Intelligence Policy Directorate, which she led for four years. In early 2012, she established the DUSN Security Policy Directorate and centralized collateral security policy and oversight within the Department of the Navy. She then moved to the Department of the Navy/Assistant for Administration where she was the Deputy for two years.
Prior to her appointment to the Senior Executive Service, Ms. Kay served in a variety of leadership positions as a Navy intelligence officer and civilian intelligence analyst in Joint Task Force Four, DoD Liaison to the El Paso Intelligence Center, Office of Naval Intelligence, and in several Navy intelligence reserve units. She retired from the Navy reserves in 2013 with 23 years of service.
1988 Bachelor of Art degree in History, Briar Cliff College, Iowa
2013 Joint Professional Military Education, Phase One, Naval War College, Rhode Island
1. 1989 - 1994, Intelligence Watch Officer, Joint Task Force Four, Key West, Fla.
2. 1994 - 1998, DoD Liaison Officer, El Paso Intelligence Center, El Paso, Texas
3. 1998 - 2007, various leadership positions, Office of Naval Intelligence, Suitland, Md.
4. 2007 - 2012, Senior Director for Intelligence, Deputy Under Secretary of the Navy, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. 2012 - 2013, Senior Director for Security, Deputy Under Secretary of the Navy, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. 2013 - 2015, Deputy, Department of the Navy/Assistant for Administration, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. 2015 - present, Director, Security, Special Program Oversight and Information Protection, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS, HONORS, AND SPECIAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Navy Commendation Medal
Joint Achievement Medal
Department of the Navy Distinguished Civilian Service Award
Department of the Navy Superior Civilian Service Award
(Current as of September 2015)