Lt. Gen. Tom D. Miller is Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible to the Chief of Staff for leadership, management and integration of Air Force logistics readiness, aircraft, munitions and missile maintenance, civil engineering and security forces as well as setting policy and preparing budget estimates that reflect enhancements to productivity, combat readiness and quality of life for Airmen.
Lt. Gen. Miller was commissioned as a distinguished graduate from the AFROTC program. He has served in a variety of leadership positions and has commanded maintenance squadrons in the United States and Iraq, a maintenance group in Afghanistan, a nuclear wing, an air logistics complex, and has served on the Air Staff and the Joint Staff. Prior to his current position, he was the Commander of the Air Force Sustainment Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
1990 Bachelor of Business Administration, Management, University of Texas, Arlington
1993 Master of Business Administration, Aviation, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Master of Military Art and Science, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Advanced Program in Logistics Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2009 Joint and Combined Warfare School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2010 National Defense Fellowship, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
2011 USAF Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2016 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2019 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
1. April 1991–August 1991, Student, Aircraft Maintenance Munitions Officer Course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
2. September 1991–August 1993, Armament Flight Commander, 58th Maintenance Squadron and Officer in Charge of Maintenance, 555th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. September 1993–December 1995, Squadron Maintenance/Logistics Test Officer, F-15 and then F-16 Combined Test Forces, Edwards AFB, Calif.
4. January 1996–May 1997, Sortie Generation Flight Commander, 492nd Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
5. June 1997–April 1999, Installation Deployment Officer, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
6. May 1999–July 2002, Maintenance Officer Assignments, then Executive Officer to the Director of Assignments, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. August 2002–June 2003, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2003–July 2005, Commander, 4th Component Maintenance Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C. (September 2004–January 2005, 332d Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron Commander, Balad Air Base, Iraq)
9. July 2005–June 2006, Deputy Chief, Program Integration Branch "A4/7 Engine Room" Directorate of Resource Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
10. July 2006–June 2007, Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, HAF, Arlington, Va.
11. July 2007–June 2009, Chief, Maintenance Division, Directorate of Logistics (J4), The Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2009–May 2010, National Defense Fellow, the Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2010–June 2011, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Maintenance Group, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan
14. July 2011–July 2012, Vice Commander, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
15. July 2012–July 2013, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, Ogden Air Logistics Complex, Hill AFB, Utah
16. July 2013–June 2015, Commander, 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
17. June 2015–June 2017, Vice Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
18. June 2017–June 2018, Commander, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Complex, Tinker AFB, Okla.
19. June 2018–August 2021, Director of Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
20. August 2021–August 2022, Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
20. August 2022–present, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2007–June 2009, Chief, Maintenance Division, The Joint Staff J-4, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with device
Iraq Campaign Medal with device
National Defense Service Medal with device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
"The Defense Sustainment Industrial Base", A Primer, Brookings Institution, 2010
"Capability, Capacity and Risk in Sustainment of Air Force Weapon Systems", Brookings Institution, 2022
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 1, 1990
First Lieutenant Nov. 1, 1992
Captain Nov. 1, 1994
Major Dec. 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2009
Brigadier General May 3, 2016
Major General, Aug. 2, 2019
Lieutenant General, Aug. 17, 2021
(Current as of August 2022)