Dr. Michael A. Parker, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Chief Information Officer and Deputy Director, Plans and Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C. Dr. Parker provides policy, guidance and oversight for the development of plans and the design of future systems to ensure availability of personnel services for the Air Force war fighter. Additionally, he assists in providing policy and guidance for the integration of personnel policies and objectives in a human resources strategy.
Dr. Parker has served in leadership positions within the Navy. His career includes assignments within the office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Financial Management & Comptroller) as the director of Financial Systems Division. In that position, he led all financial systems governance, portfolio management and transformational programs. He became the program manager of the Department of the Navy’s efforts in transforming the end-to-end standardization and consolidation of financial systems, focused on the inter/intra-governmental transaction business segment.
Dr. Parker also served in several leadership positions within the Marine Corps, culminating with his leadership as Branch Chief, Future Plans and Integration Branch, Manpower and Reserve Affairs (M&RA), Headquarters U. S. Marine Corps. In this position, Dr. Parker led the implementation of the capability and portfolio management model of governance for all manpower and reserve affairs capability investments and sustainment programs. During this assignment, Dr. Parker successfully implemented core capabilities within the manpower and reserve affairs community of interest providing enterprise efficiencies and increasing operational effectiveness. As Director of the DoD programs and Defense Integrated Military Human Resources System, Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps, Dr. Parker developed a program plan and approach to evaluate and assess the implementation of DIMHRS within the Marine Corps. During this assignment, Dr. Parker was instrumental in defining the detailed requirements necessary to successfully implement an enterprise solution supporting military pay management and was a key contributor to the DIMHRS transition efforts within the Department of Defense.
Dr. Parker retired from the Marine Corps in November 2006 after 20 years of active service as an officer of Marines. During his 20-year career, he served in varying assignments between financial management, human resources management, information technology management, program management and sea duty.
1994 Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration, San Diego State University, San Diego, Calif.
2000 Master of Science degree in Information Technology Management, Naval Post-graduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2011 Senior Executive Fellows Course, JFK School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2015 Doctor of Science degree in Information Systems and Communication, Robert Morris University, Pittsburgh, Penn.
1. 1986 – 2006. Active Duty Marine Officer. Retired.
2. November 2006 – September 2007, Chief, Financial Systems, Finance Branch, Programs and Resources, Headquarters, U. S. Marine Corps, Washington, D.C.
3. October 2007 – September 2008, Chief, DoD Systems Branch, Manpower Information Systems Division, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters, U. S. Marine Corps, Quantico, Va.
4. October 2008 – September 2009, Director, Defense Integrated Military Human Resources System (DIMHRS) Office, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters, U. S. Marine Corps, Quantico, Va.
5. October 2009 – September 2011, Chief, Governance and Integration Branch, Manpower Information Systems Division, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters, U. S. Marine Corps, Quantico, Va.
6. October 2011 – February 2015, Chief, Future Plans and Integration Branch, Manpower Information Systems Division, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters, U. S. Marine Corps, Quantico, Va.
7. March 2015 – September 2015, Director, Transformational Programs Office, Financial Systems Division, Financial Management Operations Directorate, Financial Management and Comptroller Department, Arlington, Va.
8. October 2015 – September 2016, Director, Financial Systems Division, Financial Policy and Systems Directorate, Financial Management and Comptroller Department, Arlington, Va.
9. October 2016 - present, Chief Information Officer and Deputy Director of Plans and Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2000 Grace Hopper Honor Graduate Award
2009 Special Act Award
2016 Superior Civilian Award
(Current as of September 2016)