Lt. Gen. Charles L. (Chuck) Plummer is The Judge Advocate General of the Air Force (19th) and Space Force (2nd), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. In these capacities, Lt. Gen. Plummer serves as the Legal Adviser to the Secretary of the Air Force, the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, the Chief of Space Operations, and all officers and agencies of the Department of the Air Force. He directs all judge advocates in the performance of their duties and is responsible for the professional oversight of more than 2,200 judge advocates, 350 civilian attorneys, 1,400 enlisted paralegals and 500 civilian employees in the Total Force Judge Advocate General's Corps worldwide, overseeing military justice, operations and international law, and civil law and litigation functions at all levels of Air Force and Space Force commands.
Lt. Gen. Plummer was born and raised in Syracuse, New York. He was admitted to practice law in the State of New York in 1994. From August 1994 to September 1995, he practiced as a civilian attorney with firms in Buffalo and Syracuse, New York. He entered the Air Force by direct appointment in September 1995.
Lt. Gen. Plummer has served in a variety of legal positions at the base, the field operating agency, the air staff and the joint staff levels, including twice serving in command positions as a brigadier general and major general (general court-martial convening authority). In addition to his traditional assignments, he served as the Staff Judge Advocate to the 3rd Air Expeditionary Group, Kwang Ju Air Base, South Korea, and as the Staff Judge Advocate to a Joint Special Operations Task Force, Jordan.
1989 Bachelor of Science, Magna Cum Laude, State University of New York, Brockport
1993 Juris Doctor, Capital University School of Law, Columbus, Ohio
1994 Master of Laws, Taxation, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Master of Arts, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Arts, Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2017 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2018 National and International Security Leadership Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2018 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. December 1995–June 1997, Chief of Claims, Chief of Environmental Law, 6th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
2. June 1997–June 1998, Chief of International and Operations Law, Chief of the Tax Program, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, South Korea
3. June 1998–August 2000, Chief of Military Justice, Chief of Adverse Actions, Chief of Operations Law, 16th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. August 2000–May 2003, Chief, Recruiting Branch, Professional Development Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
5. May 2003–July 2004, Assistant Executive to the Judge Advocate General, Office of the Judge Advocate General, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. July 2004–July 2006, Staff Judge Advocate, 423rd Air Base Group, Royal Air Force Alconbury, United Kingdom
7. May 2005–July 2006, Staff Judge Advocate, 501st Combat Support Wing, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
8. August 2006–June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2007–June 2008, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2008–July 2010, Deputy Legal Counsel, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. August 2010–June 2011, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2011–February 2014, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Personnel Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
13. February 2014–September 2016, Director, Professional Development Directorate, Office of the Judge Advocate General, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. October 2016–May 2018, Commander, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
15. May 2018–May 2022, Deputy Judge Advocate General, Office of the Judge Advocate General, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. (June 2020–May 2022, Commander, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Joint Base Andrews, Md.)
16. May 2022–present, The Judge Advocate General, Office of the Judge Advocate General, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2008–July 2010, Deputy Legal Counsel, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Commendation Medal
2005, USAF Outstanding Judge Advocate of the Year (Albert M. Kuhfeld Award)
2005, USAFE’s Dr. Richard S. Schubert Award (for Excellence in Host-Nation Relations)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Sept. 25, 1995
Captain March 25, 1996
Major Oct. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2016
Major General May 18, 2018
Lieutenant General May 26, 2022
(Current as of September 2023)