AF couple aids in vehicle accident, assist in saving lives

  • Published
  • By Senior Airman Franklin R. Ramos
  • 97th Air Mobility Wing Public Affairs
Tech. Sgts. Ryan Boyd and Tesha Boyd were heading to San Antonio, Texas, when they witnessed a major vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 87 South, April 2.

A male driving a silver pickup truck had T-boned a family in a white minivan that was pulled over at rest stop. The Boyds immediately pulled over to investigate the scene.

"I stopped because it was a natural reaction to me,” said Ryan, the 97th Civil Engineer Squadron deputy fire chief. “Being a fireman for the past 15 years I've trained to react to emergencies."

At the scene of the accident, Tesha called 911 and Ryan began to assess the victims. Two additional drivers pulled over to assist with the injured.

"It was the right thing to do, the accident just happened, nobody was there yet," said Tesha, the 97th Force Support Squadron NCO in charge of force management.

"I thought, 'please let everyone be okay,''" Tesha said. "I wasn't sure what to expect, by the severity of the accident I was thinking the worst."

As he approached, Ryan recalled that the back window of the minivan was shattered, giving him vision into the vehicle.

"As I approached the vehicles … two of the kids were in the back seat complaining of head and neck pain, the mom was in the middle row trying to calm down the baby that was in the car seat," Ryan said. "The driver of the truck that hit the van wanted to help out but I had him sit down out of the way and asked another bystander to stay with him."

The mother had a 1-by-3 inch wound on her leg and the children were in need of medical assistance, so the Boyds said they immediately began stabilization procedures while waiting for emergency responders.

"I focused on the little boy, he was in the back seat," Tesha said. "I pulled him out through the back window, held c-spine, tried to keep him calm and talking to me until the ambulance arrived."

While Tesha was tending to the little boy, Ryan took the female child out of the side van door and directed a bystander to assist by holding a c-spine on her.

"I then took a shirt and tied it around the mother's leg to stop the bleeding,” Ryan said. “I left the baby in the car seat because the car seat was already stabilizing him. The mother was getting woozy, so I had her sit next to the baby in the car seat on the floor board to keep him calm."

Once all the victims were being attended to, Ryan inspected the vehicles for hazards such as leaks or sparks that could lead to a fire. Shortly after, emergency responders arrived on scene.

"When the ambulances arrived on scene I assisted the medics with packaging the girl, put on the C-collar, and strapped her to the back board," Ryan said. "Then, I helped them load her in the ambulance. My wife helped the medics package the boy and kept him calm. The other firemen that arrived packaged the mother and baby."

After the victims were taken to a hospital the Boyds cleaned themselves up and continued their drive down to San Antonio.

"My job and life is devoted to helping others," Ryan said. "I didn't think twice, I just reacted. It feels good when I can help people in need I do encourage all Airmen to help people, although I caution people to know their limitations and what kind of care they can give. But, every little bit counts.

"My wife isn't used to doing this kind of thing, but she stayed calm and performed like it was second nature I'm proud of her," he said.

Tesha gives credit to her husband’s job as a firefighter.

"I'm so proud of my husband … ," Tesha said. "He was very calm with everyone and took control of the situation without hesitation."