William S. "Bill" Rone, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla. The command is a major command of the U. S. Air Force and the Air Force component of U. S. Special Operations Command. Mr. Rone is the principal financial adviser to the AFSOC Commander and is the command's senior civilian. He is responsible for the budgeting and fiscal execution of Air Force and Defense Agency appropriations for the purpose of organizing, training, and equipping Air Force Special Operations Forces for worldwide deployment and assignment to unified combatant commanders. The command has approximately 12,900 active-duty, Reserve, Air National Guard and civilian professionals.
Mr. Rone began his career with the Air Force in 1971 as a cooperative education student at Eglin AFB, Fla. His key resource management positions include Director of Programming and Budgeting for an Air Force Systems Command acquisition center; Deputy Comptroller for an Air Force Logistics Command logistics center; and Programmer, Comptroller and Chief Information Officer for a Naval Air Systems Command aviation depot. Prior to his current position, Mr. Rone served as the AFSOC Deputy Comptroller and Director of Budget. In addition to official duties, Mr. Rone has served his community many years as Chairman of the Eglin Federal Credit Union Board of Directors, a $1 billion financial institution. He is also Treasurer for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation Board of Directors. Mr. Rone has served twice as both President and Vice President of American Society of Military Comptrollers chapters.
1973 Bachelor of Arts degree in accounting, University of West Florida, Pensacola
1978 Master of Business Administration degree, University of West Florida, Pensacola
1978 Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1981 Air War College, by seminar
1983 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1971 - November 1975, cooperative education student, cost accountant and accountant, Armament Development and Test Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. November 1975 - November 1977, Test Center and Base Operations budget analyst, Armament Development and Test Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. November 1977 - February 1979, Senior Acquisition Budget Analyst, Armament Development and Test Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. February 1979 - August 1982, Director of Programs and Budget, Armament Development and Test Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
5. August 1982 - June 1983, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
6. June 1983 - August 1985, Director of Programs and Budget, Armament Division, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. August 1985 - February 1989, Deputy Comptroller, Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. February 1989 - September 1990, Comptroller, Programmer and Chief Information Officer, Naval Aviation Depot, Pensacola, Fla.
9. October 1990 - September 1994, Deputy Comptroller and Director of Budget, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
10. September 1994 - present, Director of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters AFSOC, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1986 American Society of Military Comptrollers Meritorious Comptroller
1987 Logistics Executive Award, Air Force Logistics Command
1987 Logistics Executive Award, Air Force Association
1989 Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1990 Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2001 Comptroller of the Year, USSOCOM
2007 James Short Award, Outstanding Contribution to Mentorship/Career Development, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller (SAF/FM)
2008 Gen. Lewis H. Brereton Award, Outstanding Florida Civilian Resident, Air Force Association
2010 Secretary of the Air Force Nominee - DOD Distinguished Civilian Service Award
2010 Comptroller of the Year, USSOCOM
2010 Robert Stuart Award, Excellence in Financial Management, SAF/FM
2011 USSOCOM Outstanding Civilian Service Medal
2011 USSOCOM Dr. Robert L. Buhrkuhl Leadership Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
Association of Budget and Program Analysts
Association of Government Accountants
National Association of Credit Union Chairpersons
Industrial College of the Armed Forces Alumni Association
Life member, American Society of Military Comptrollers
Certified Cost Analyst
Certified Government Financial Manager
Certified Defense Financial Manager - Acquisition
Professional Development Guidelines, SAF/FM, Level III
(Current as of September 2013)