Sue A. Lumpkins, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director of Logistics, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The directorate is responsible for organizing, training and equipping more than 180,000 people in the Air Force maintenance and logistics readiness career fields and the development of maintenance and logistics readiness policy ensuring the readiness of the single largest element of manpower supporting Air Force combat forces worldwide. The directorate is responsible for maintaining the Air Force global engagement aerospace weapons system inventory, materiel and equipment management, fuels, vehicle management and operations, distribution, personal property and passenger traffic management.
Ms. Lumpkins began her Air Force career in 1980. She has served in a wide range of logistics, acquisition and financial positions in multiple organizational levels with the Air Force and Department of Defense. Prior to her current assignment, Ms. Lumpkins was the Deputy Director, Logistics Readiness, Deputy Chief of Staff, Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
1974 Bachelor of Science degree in education, University of Texas at Austin
1984 Masters of Arts degree in business administration, Webster University
1993 Senior Executive Leadership Course
1994 Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1996 Security Management Course, National Securities Studies, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2002 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2002 Senior Acquisition Course (Recertification), Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2005 Defense Leadership and Management Program
2005 Senior Leaders Course, Darden Business School, University of Virginia at Charlottesville
1. September 1980 - March 1988, inventory management positions ranging from item manager to section chief of item managers in engines, commodities and equipment, San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
2. March 1988 - September 1989, Branch Chief, Logistics and Acquisition Equipment Directorate, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
3. September 1989 - April 1991, Branch Chief, Requirements, Staff, Directorate of Materiel Management, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
4. April 1991 - December 1991, Division Chief for Program Control, Commodities Directorate, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
5. December 1991 - February 1996, Chief, Requirements and Budget Integration Division, Financial Management Directorate, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
6. February 1996 - January 1997, Deputy Director, T-37/38 and F-5 Directorate, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
7. January 1997 - January 1998, Deputy Systems Support Manager, C-17 Aircraft Directorate, San Antonio ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
8. January 1998 - July 1999, Deputy Director, Avionics, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
9. July 1999 - August 2001, Deputy Division Chief, Supply Policy, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. August 2001 - June 2002, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2002 - May 2003, Deputy Director, Business Operations, Defense Supply Center, Richmond, Va.
12. May 2003 - Feb 2006, Chief, Program Integration Division, Directorate of Global Power Programs, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
13. February 2006 - February 2007, Chief, Weapon System Supply Chain Management Office, 327th Aircraft Sustainment Wing, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
14. February 2007 - August 2007, Vice Director, 327th Aircraft Sustainment Wing, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. August 2007 - October 2008, Deputy Director, Logistics Readiness, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. October 2008 - present, Deputy Director, Logistics, Deputy Chief of Staff, Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters, US Air Force, Washington, D.C
AWARDS AND HONORS
1985 Meredith Mynier Award for Inventory Specialist of the Year, Air Force Logistics Command
2005 Headquarters U.S. Air Force (major command) nominee for the Department of Defense Distinguished Civilian Service Award
2006 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1987 and 1988 Logistics Civilian Career Enhancement Program Cycle VII
1992 Acquisition Logistics, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
1995 Program Management, Level III, APDP
1995 Financial Management, Level I, APDP
1996 Acquisition Corps Certification, APDP
2002 Senior Acquisition Course, recertification, Industrial College of the Armed Forces
2005 Recertified Continuous Learning (through May 2007)
2007 Certified Transformation Green Belt
(Current as of December 2008)