Jose R. Aragon is a member of the Senior Executive Service serving as Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, Air Force Sustainment Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. He serves as fiscal advisor and counselor to the AFSC Commander and his staff in all financial and resources management matters. He is responsible for establishing policy and the overall operation of programming, budgeting, accounting, disbursing, and resource analysis. He also oversees budget formulation, execution, and reporting of the Consolidated Sustainment Activity Group -- Maintenance and Supply. His directorate provides financial management and technical advisory services to all AFSC directorates and subordinate organizations executing AFSC resources across three AFSC bases.
Previously, Mr. Aragon served as Director, Financial Management for the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center at Kirtland AFB, N.M. As the AFNWC Chief Financial Officer he managed a budget of $4.2 billion and was responsible for 80 financial managers across the AFNWC enterprise. Prior to that, he served as the Chief Financial Officer for the Air Force Research Laboratory's Space Vehicles Directorate at Kirtland AFB and was responsible for managing an annual research budget of $400 million. He worked briefly in private industry as a business consultant. In that capacity, he directed the financial and business efforts of 25 staff members throughout the greater San Antonio, Texas, area, serving a myriad of U.S. Air Force clients. His broad and diverse 30-year Air Force career includes a unique combination of assignments. He served as a financial manager, acquisition manager, congressional liaison officer, plans and programs officer, executive officer, aide-de-camp, and as an intelligence crypto-analyst during his enlisted tenure.
1977 Bachelor of Arts, Business Management, University of Pittsburgh
1984 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 Master of Business Administration, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1992 Acquisition certification Level I in Logistics, and Computer/Comm
1993 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1994 Acquisition certification Level III in Financial Management, Program Management
2000 Master of Science Administration-National Strategic Studies, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
2008 National Security Studies, Executive Course, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2010 Department of Defense Executive Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
1. March 1970 - November 1973, Air Force Security Service (Intel), enlisted assignments at Misawa AB, Japan, and Lackland AFB, Texas
2. February 1980 - June 1983, Wing Budget Chief, 323rd Flying Training Wing, Mather AFB, Calif.
3. June 1983 - July 1985, Executive Officer to Air Education and Training Command/Chief Information Officer, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. July 1985 - June 1986, Budget Officer, C-17 Airlift System Program Office, Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. June 1986 - February 1987, Financial Manager, Air Force Coordinating Office for Logistics Research, Resource Management Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. February 1987 - June 1989, Congressional Liaison for Air Force Logistics Command, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Plans and Programs Directorate, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. June 1989 - June 1992, Commander's Aide-de-Camp, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. July 1992 - June 1993, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL
9. June 1993 - August 1995, C-130 System Program Control Chief; and Chief, Commander's Action Group, Warner-Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga.
10. August 1995 - August 1997, Executive Officer for Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. August 1997 - February 1998, Acquisition Analyst, Headquarters Air Force, Plans and Programs Directorate, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. February 1998 - July 1999, Assistant Executive Officer to the Air Force Chief of Staff, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. July 1999 - Jun 2000, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Ft McNair, Washington DC
14. June 2000 - June 2002, Deputy Division Chief, Congressional Liaison Office, Financial Management and Comptroller Directorate, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2002 - July 2003, Senior Military Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2003 - July 2005, Chief of Financial Management Division, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
17. August 2005 - January 2007, Business Consultant, Booz-Allen-Hamilton, San Antonio, Texas
18. February 2007 - September 2010, Director Financial Management, Space Vehicles Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
19. September 2010 - April 2013, Director, Financial Management, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
20. April 2013 - present, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, Air Force Sustainment Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Tinker AFB, Okla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Major Command Budget Officer of the Year (Air Education and Training Command, and Air Force Systems Command)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman May 15, 1970
Airman First Class May 15, 1971
Sergeant May 15, 1972
Second Lieutenant Feb. 14, 1980
First Lieutenant Feb. 14, 1982
Captain Feb. 14, 1984
Major February 1, 1992
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 1997
Colonel Aug. 1, 2002
General Schedule 15 Feb. 22, 2007
Senior Executive Service April 21, 2013
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
1980 American Society of Military Comptrollers (Chapter President)
1984 Air Force Association
1999 National Defense Industrial Association
(Current as of July 2013)