Brig. Gen. Jennifer Hammerstedt is the Director of Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. As Director, she reports directly to the Commander, Air Combat Command as the senior logistician within the lead Major Command for Combat Air Forces. She is responsible for strategy, policy, resources and performance managements of aircraft maintenance, munitions, supply, transportation, logistics plans, installation support, and force protection activities. Providing mission generation and sustainment oversight for 16 combat weapon systems, her team integrates requirements, planning and budget execution for more than 1,100 fighters and special mission aircraft in 35 wings to organize, train, and equip forces in support of combatant commander global warfighting objectives.
Brig. Gen. Hammerstedt received her commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1996. During her career, Brig. Gen. Hammerstedt has led flightline maintenance and munitions operations in seven different Air Force wings. She deployed worldwide in support of operations Northern and Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom and New Dawn, including two deployed squadron commands. Brig. Gen. Hammerstedt has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels, as well as served in key staff positions on two Air Force major command staffs, as an Air Force Legislative Fellow and as a Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense.
Prior to her current assignment, Brig. Gen. Hammerstedt was the Commander of the Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia.
1992 New Mexico Military Institute, Roswell
1996 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 Masters Degree in Human Resource Management, Troy State University, Ala.
2004 USAF Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Intermediate Developmental Education, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Washington, D.C.
2010 Certificate in Legislative Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Masters of Science Degree in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2016 Executive Champions Lean Six Sigma Certification, North Carolina State University
2016 The Depot & Arsenal Executive Leadership Program, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. October 1996–May 1997, Sortie Support Flight Commander, 358th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. May 1997–January 1999, Munitions Flight Commander, 355th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. January 1999–December 2001, Sortie Support and Sortie Generation Flight Commander, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
4. December 2001–January 2003, Executive Officer to the Director, Headquarters Air Combat Command Directorate of Maintenance and Logistics, Langley AFB, Va.
5. January 2003–January 2005, Chief of Maintenance Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters Air Combat Command Directorate of Maintenance and Logistics, Langley AFB, Va. (January 2004–April 2004, Student, U.S. Air Force Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Nellis AFB, Nev.)
6. January 2005–January 2006, Officer in Charge of 80th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 8th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
7. January 2006–July 2008, Operations Officer, 33d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla. (September 2007–January 2008, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan)
8. July 2008–December 2009, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Student, Intermediate Developmental Education
9. December 2009–May 2010, Air Force Legislative Liaison Officer, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. June 2010–June 2011, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
11. July 2011–June 2012, Chief, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. June 2012–August 2013, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. August 2013–June 2014, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2014–June 2016, Commander, 402nd Aircraft Maintenance Group, Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex, Robins AFB, Ga.
15. June 2016–April 2018, Commander, 75th Air Base Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
16. April 2018–July 2020, Principal Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va
17. July 2020–July 2022, Commander, Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex, Robins AFB, Ga.
18. July 2022–present, Director of Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis Air Force Base, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. April 2018–July 2020, Principal Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington Va., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force-level Lt Gen Leo Marquez Field Grade Manager of the Year Award Winner – 2007
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 1, 1998
Captain May 1, 2000
Major May 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2020
(Current as of July 2022)