Maj. Gen. Winfield W. Scott III is the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. As Air Mobility Command's sole warfighting numbered air force, 18th Air Force is responsible for the command's worldwide operational mission. With more than 51,000 active-duty Airmen and managing more than 1,400 Total Force airlift/air refueling aircraft, 18th Air Force is a streamlined organization that focuses the warfighting capability of the command through the 618th Tanker Airlift Control Center, two expeditionary mobility task forces, 18 wings and one stand-alone group.
The general graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1974 with a Bachelor of Science degree in military science. He has commanded the 374th Operations Group at Yokota Air Base, Japan; 47th Flying Training Wing at Laughlin AFB, Texas; and 43rd Airlift Wing at Pope AFB, N.C. General Scott also commanded the 64th Air Expeditionary Wing in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. In addition, he served as the Inspector General for U.S. Transportation Command and Headquarters Air Mobility Command, which are located at Scott AFB. Prior to his current assignment, the general was the Deputy Director, Strategic Effects, Multi-National Forces-Iraq, U.S. Central Command, Baghdad, Iraq.
General Scott is a command pilot with more than 5,600 flying hours in the C-141, C-130, T-1, T-37, T-38 and UH-1N.
1974 Bachelor of Science degree in military science, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
1979 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1983 Master of Arts degree in management, Webster College, St. Louis, Mo.
1989 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1974 - September 1975, undergraduate pilot training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1975 - October 1981, C-141 pilot, flight simulator instructor, airdrop and air refueling flight examiner, airlift director, assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. October 1981 - June 1984, C-141 instructor pilot, flight examiner, assistant Chief of Wing Current Operations, 57th Airlift Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. June 1984 - February 1986, Air Staff action officer, Directorate of Operations and Plans, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. February 1986 - August 1988, panel point of contact for mobility programs, Directorate of Programs and Evaluations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. August 1988 - August 1989, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. August 1989 - February 1991, assistant operations officer, 41st Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
8. February 1991 - August 1992, Commander, 437th Airlift Control Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
9. August 1992 - June 1994, Commander, 18th Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
10. June 1994 - June 1995, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 1995 - August 1997, Director of Logistics, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
12. August 1997 - August 1999, Commander, 374th Operations Group, Yokota Air Base, Japan
13. August 1999 - December 2000, Commander, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
14. December 2000 - November 2001, Inspector General, U.S. Transportation Command and Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
15. November 2001 - November 2003, Commander, 43rd Airlift Wing, Pope AFB, N.C. (March 2003 - May 2003, Commander, 64th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia)
16. November 2003 - July 2004, special assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. August 2004 - May 2005, Deputy Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. June 2005 - January 2007, Commander, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
19. January 2007 - January 2008, Deputy Chief of Staff, Strategic Communications, Multi-National Force-Iraq, U.S. Central Command, Baghdad, Iraq
20. January 2008 - June 2008, special assistant to the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
21. June 2008 - present, Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,600
Aircraft flown: C-141, C-130, T-1, T-37, T-38 and UH-1N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 5, 1974
First Lieutenant June 5, 1976
Captain June 5, 1978
Major Nov. 1, 1985
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 1990
Colonel Aug. 1, 1996
Brigadier General Aug. 1, 2002
Major General Sept. 1, 2005
(Current as of April 2009)