Engage

T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
F
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
F
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
T
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
F
Logo
Facebook
1,773,723
Like Us
Twitter
310,854
Follow Us
YouTube Flickr Blog RSS Instagram

MAJOR GENERAL PAUL R. STONEY

PRINT | E-MAIL

Major General Paul Roberts Stoney is commander of the Air Force Communications Service with headquarters at Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo. The command's mission includes engineering, installing and maintaining communications-electronics facilities for all Air Force commands. The command is also responsible for the operation of long-haul intercontinental and on-base communications, air traffic control and navigational aid facilities and services for the Air Force and selected government and civilian agencies.

General Stoney was born in Nashville, Tenn., in 1919, but considers Anniston, Ala., his hometown. He graduated from Anniston High School, in 1937, and from Emory University, Atlanta, Ga., in 1941, with a bachelor of arts degree in psychology. He enlisted as an aviation cadet in October 1941, and upon completion of pilot training in July 1942, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps.

General Stoney served as a flying instructor at Columbus Field, Miss., until November 1942 when he was assigned to a newly formed Instrument Flying Evaluation Group. With this group until March 1944, he participated in extensive studies and evaluation of instrument approach and landing systems, leading to the formation of standard instrument flying techniques in the Air Force.

From November 1944 to April 1945, he attended Communications Officer School. He then was assigned to the 78th Air Base Group, first at Sheppard Field, Texas, then at Langley Field, Va., which was an overseas training and processing center for the Airways and Air Communications Service.

In December 1946 General Stoney was assigned to the 7th AACS Wing, Tokyo, Japan, as the assistant for plans. His primary duties involved rehabilitation of the World War II communications equipment in the Pacific area and establishing permanent point-to-point and navigation aids facilities in that area to replace facilities installed during the war. From July 1947 until August 1949, he was deputy director of operations for the 1810th AACS Group, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, and was responsible for all communications facilities in the Southern Pacific area.

General Stoney returned to the United States in August 1949, and was assigned to Headquarters AACS, Washington, D.C., where he planned a major updating of worldwide AACS facilities, ground/air and global communications. In July 1953 he entered the Air Command and Staff School at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. While at the school, he was attached to the Advanced Studies Group of the Air War College which was involved in a detailed assessment of use of airpower as an instrument of national policy.

In January 1954 General Stoney became commander of the 1932d AACS Squadron, Goose Air Base, Labrador. In February 1956 he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force where he was responsible for developing communications programming and budget procedures for new Air Force communications equipment. In August 1959 he was selected to attend the U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.

In July 1960 General Stoney became deputy chief of Communications-Electronics for Strategic Air Command at Offutt Air Force Bases Neb. He returned to Washington, D.C., in January 1963 for an assignment in the Office of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering, Office of the Secretary of Defense. He participated in the initial development work supporting the establishment of the National Military Command System and was part of the study group that devised the Consolidated Command Control Communications Program now being used throughout the Defense Department.

General Stoney returned to Strategic Air Command headquarters in November 1964 as chief of Communications-Electronics, where he was responsible for operation of all of SAC's complex communications systems.

He became vice commander of the Air Force Communications Service, when its headquarters was at Scott Air Force Base, Ill., in July 1966 and became the commander in August 1969. On July 16, 1970, General Stoney transferred to Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo., thus marking the date the command headquarters officially moved to its new station.

His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster and Army Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters.

General Stoney's hometown is Anniston, Ala.

He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective Aug. 1, 1969, with date of rank July 1, 1965.

(Current as of Sept. 15, 1971)