Died April 02,2007
Brigadier General Howard W. Moore, deputy commander of the Ogden Air Materiel Area (Air Force Logistics Command), with headquarters at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, was born in Farmersburg, Ind., in 1913. He graduated from Farmersburg High School in 1931 and enlisted in the 145th Infantry, 37th Division, Ohio National Guard April 1, 1937. He was commissioned a second lieutenant, Infantry, National Guard of the United States Oct. 15, 1940. While assigned to the 153rd Observation Squadron, Key Field, Meridian, Miss., Lieutenant Moore's application for pilot's rating was approved by the chief of staff, U.S. Army Air Corps, Sept. 10, 1941, in view of his previous commercial flying experience. Today he is rated a command pilot and is current in the B-52 Stratofortress and B-58 Hustler. General Moore was the first general officer to become fully qualified in the B-58.
General Moore was reassigned to the 44th Bombardment Group, Heavy, in April 1942 for operational training prior to overseas deployment in October 1942. As commander of the 67th Bombardment Squadron, 44th Bombardment Group, Heavy, Eighth Air Force, he led the group on the first daylight raid over Germany. During his combat tour in England and North Africa, he was awarded the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters.
In March 1945 he again returned overseas as director of operations of the Occupational Air Force for Austria and accompanied the first Allied Team to meet the Russians in Vienna after the German surrender in May 1945 for the purpose of defining Allied occupational areas for the city of Vienna.
General Moore was later assigned as chief, Aeronautics Section, Air Division, U.S. Forces Austria in 1945, and while serving in this capacity, assisted in drafting of the Austrian Peace Treaty. In 1947 he piloted General Mark W. Clark, commander, U.S. Forces Austria, and Ralph Earhardt, U.S. minister to Vienna, to Moscow to participate in the Foreign Ministers Conference being held there.
In July 1947 General Moore was assigned as liaison officer, Headquarters 6th Army, Presidio, San Francisco, Calif. In June 1948 he was appointed to the additional duty as deputy chief of staff for air in the pilot program directed by James Forrestal, then secretary of defense for unification of the services in the western states.
After participating in the B-36 program at Carswell Air Force Base Texas, General Moore was assigned as base commander, Rapid City Air Force Base, S.D. In June 1952 he was named deputy commander, 18th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing, Rapid City Air Force Base, and then in July 1954, returned to Carswell Air Force Base to assume command of the 11th Bombardment Wing, Heavy.
During the three years as commander of the 11th Bombardment Wing, his wing won the coveted Fairchild Trophy two out of three years in Strategic Air Command Bombing and Navigation Competition. In June 1957 the wing was the first in Strategic Air Command to receive 100 percent on a no notice inspection (unit simulated combat mission). For these achievements, General Moore was awarded the Legion of Merit and the 11th Bombardment Wing was awarded the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for its performance during the period October 1954 to August 1957.
General Moore attended the National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C., in August 1957 and upon graduation, was assigned as commander of the 4130th Strategic Wing, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Austin, Texas. He organized and upgraded the wing to combat-ready status and in August 1959 was assigned as commander, 816th Air Division, Altus Air Force Base, Okla. On Sept. 9, 1961, he took command of the 19th Air Division, Carswell Air Force Base, Texas, and served in that capacity until he assumed his present duties of deputy commander, Ogden Air Materiel Area on July 27, 1965.
(Up to date as of Aug. 2, 1965)