Died August 18,1984
Brigadier General Glen J. McClernon is commander of the Defense Electronics Supply Center, Defense Supply Agency, Dayton, Ohio.
General McClernon was born in Springfield, Mo., in 1918. He attended schools in Springfield, including Southwest Missouri State College where he majored in business administration. He entered the Army Air Corps as an aviation cadet in March 1941 and received his pilot wings and commission as a second lieutenant in October 1941.
In February 1942, following a brief tour with the 3d Mapping Squadron, MacDill Field, Fla., he was assigned as flight commander with the 5th Photo Squadron, 3d Photo Group, Lowry Field, Colo. He went with the same organization to Europe in August 1942 as assistant group operations officer, and commander of the 5th Photo Squadron.
He returned to the United States in November 1943 for duty at the Army Air Forces School of Applied Tactics, Orlando, Fla., where he served as instructor, assistant chief and then chief, Reconnaissance Section, Combat Operations. He then served as an instructor with the Combat Operations Department of the 900th and 902d Army Air Forces Base Units, Orlando, Fla.
General McClernon was on a special reconnaissance project in the Pacific Theater of Operations at the end of World War II and returned to the United States in November 1945. He was assigned to the 4020th Army Air Forces Base Unit, Wright Field, Ohio, where he served in the Engineering Division as deputy chief, later assistant chief, Engineering Standards Section; chief of the Project Branch; comptroller; and assistant chief, Engineering Operations.
In June 1950 he was transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., where he served in the Directorate of Procurement and Production Engineering, Deputy Chief of Staff, Materiel, as chief, Aircraft Branch, Production Engineering Division; chief, and deputy director of Procurement and Production Engineering.
He entered the Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in 1954 and was assigned as director of maintenance and engineering, Headquarters Air Materiel Force, Pacific Area, in August 1955. Returning to the United States in July 1958, for duty at the Sacramento Air Materiel Area, McClellan Air Force Base, Calif., he served as deputy for production and director of maintenance.
In July 1961 he became deputy director of maintenance engineering, Deputy Chief of Staff, Supply and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and in August 1962 returned to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base as commander of the 2750th Air Base Wing. In August 1964 he became director of maintenance engineering, Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. General McClernon assumed military duties as commander of the Defense Electronics Supply Center, Defense Supply Agency, in July 1966.
He is a command pilot. His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters.
(Current as of April 1, 1968)