Heidi H. Grant, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, Washington, D.C. She provides oversight and guidance for international policy and programs supporting national security objectives through politico-military affairs; security assistance programs; technology and information disclosure; education and training; cooperative research and development; and attaché affairs.
She overseas more than 390 cooperative agreements, over 150 military exchange programs, and more than 2,000 foreign military sales cases valued at over $100 Billion.
Ms. Grant has extensive experience in budget policy and international financial management, including 13 years in the Pentagon, Washington, DC, within the Navy Comptroller, Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller). In 2002, Ms. Grant was appointed to the Senior Executive Service and assigned as Director for Resources and Analysis (J8) at Headquarters, U.S. Central Command, Tampa, Florida, where she spent the bulk of her tour at CENTCOM's Forward Headquarters in Southwest Asia. She worked with senior military representatives from 65 countries in leading the combatant command's resource strategy and analysis for operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Prior to her current assignment, Ms. Grant was Director of Resources during the stand-up of Headquarters U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany. She was responsible for conducting strategic assessment and analysis, leading both personnel and financial programming actions, to prepare the command for current and future operational requirements in support of the combatant commander's strategy, which focused on building interagency and international partnerships for global security.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in business and economics, Pfeiffer University, Misenheimer, N.C.
1993 Master of Public Administration degree in financial management, Troy State University, Washington, D.C.
1993 Department of Defense Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2003 Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
2006 Systems Acquisition Management Executive Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1. 1989 - 1991, financial management intern, Centralized Financial Management Training Program Office, Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
2. 1991 - 1998, budget analyst, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
3. 1998 - 2000, Senior Civilian Budget Analyst, Program and Budget Analysis Division, Directorate of Force Structure, Resources and Assessment, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C.
4. 2000 - 2002, budget analyst, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
5. 2002 - 2008, Director of Resources and Assessment, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
6. 2008 - 2010, Director, Resources, Headquarters U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany
7. September 2010 - present, Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1991 Department of Defense Graduate-Level Financial Management Program Scholarship 1998 Individual Awards Program nominee, American Society of Military Comptrollers
2000 Joint Meritorious Civilian Service Award, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
2001 Special Act Award for support after Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the U.S.
2002 Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Civilian Service
2003 Joint Civilian Service Commendation Award
2007 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2008 and 2010 Joint Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2000 Class representative, Federal Executive Institute
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Council on Foreign Relations
Federal Executive Institute Alumni Association
American Society of Military Comptrollers
2004 Defense Financial Manager
(Current as of June 2014)