Gen. Robin Rand is the Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. He is responsible for organizing, training, equipping all U.S. intercontinental ballistic missile and bomber forces. The command's mission is to provide combat-ready forces for nuclear deterrence and global strike operations. The command comprises more than 23,000 professionals operating at six wings that control the nation's inventory of Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles, B-2 and B-52 bomber aircraft.
General Rand was commissioned in 1979 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He's had multiple flying tours; served as an air liaison officer with the U.S. Army; and has had staff tours on the Joint Staff, Office of the Secretary of Defense, and Air Staff. General Rand's previous commands include the 36th Fighter Squadron, USAF Weapons School, 8th Fighter Wing, 56th Fighter Wing, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing at Balad Air Base, Iraq, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), and prior to this assignment, Air Education and Training Command.
General Rand is a command pilot with more than 5,080 flying hours, including more than 470 combat hours.
1979 Bachelor of Science degree in aviation science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1986 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1988 Master of Science degree in aeronautical science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
1990 U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1998 Master of Arts degree in national security policy, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2010 Joint Flag Officer Warfighter Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Pinnacle Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1979 - July 1980, student pilot, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. August 1980 - December 1980, T-37 pilot, pilot instructor training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. January 1981 - May 1984, T-37 instructor pilot, 82nd Flying Training Wing, Williams AFB, Ariz.
4. May 1984 - July 1984, AT-38 pilot, fighter lead-in training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
5. August 1984 - January 1985, F-16 pilot, F-16 training, 63rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
6. February 1985 - December 1986, F-16 pilot, 612th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Torrejon AB, Spain
7. December 1986 - June 1988, air liaison officer, 3rd Brigade, 1st Armor Division, Bamberg, West Germany
8. July 1988 - October 1988, F-16 pilot, F-16 training, 311th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. October 1988 - December 1989, F-16 flight examiner, 432nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
10. January 1990 - April 1990, F-16 pilot, USAF Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. April 1990 - July 1992, F-16 weapons officer, 13th Fighter Squadron; and weapons and tactics flight commander, 432nd Operations Support Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
12. August 1992 - September 1994, F-16 operations officer, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
13. September 1994 - July 1997, operations officer and Commander, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
14. August 1997 - June 1998, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
15. June 1998 - May 2000, policy planner, Directorate for Strategic Plans and Policy (J5), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. May 2000 - March 2001, Deputy Commander, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
17. April 2001 - April 2003, Commandant, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
18. May 2003 - May 2004, Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, South Korea
19. June 2004 - June 2006, Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
20. July 2006 - July 2007, Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Balad AB, Iraq
21. August 2007 - August 2009, Principal Director for Middle East Policy, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
22. August 2009 - November 2011, Director, Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force; and Special Assistant to the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
23. December 2011 - September 2013, Commander, 12th Air Force, Air Combat Command, and Commander, Air Forces Southern, U.S. Southern Command, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
24. October 2013 – Jul 2015, Commander, Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph.
25. Jul 2015 - present, Commander Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 1998 - May 2000, policy planner, Directorate for Strategic Plans and Policy (J5), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2006 - July 2007, Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Balad AB, Iraq, as a brigadier general
3. August 2007 - August 2009, Principal Director for Middle East Policy, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a brigadier general and major general
4. December 2011 - September 2013, Commander, Air Forces Southern, U.S. Southern Command, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz., as a lieutenant general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: more than 5,080
Aircraft flown: Primarily F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Korea Defense Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Republic of Korea Order of National Security Merit (Samil Medal)
Colombian Air Force Cross of Aeronautical Merit (Grand Cross)
Brazilian Air Force Order of Aeronautical Merit (Grand Officer)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1979
First Lieutenant May 30, 1981
Captain May 30, 1983
Major July 1, 1990
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 1995
Colonel Feb. 1, 2001
Brigadier General Jan. 1, 2006
Major General June 1, 2009
Lieutenant General Dec. 1, 2011
General Oct. 10, 2013
(Current as of July 2015)