Maj. Gen. Michael R. Boera is the Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The Directorate of Programs develops, integrates, evaluates, and analyzes the Air Force Program across the Future Years Defense Plan and is responsible for maintaining the integrity and discipline of the Air Force Corporate Structure process.
General Boera entered the Air Force in 1981 after graduating from the University of Colorado-Boulder. He has served on a major command, combined air operations center, and combatant command joint staff, as well as commanded the 23rd Fighter Squadron, USAFA 2nd Cadet Group, 35th Operations Group, 36th Wing, 613th Air and Space Operations Center, and Combined Air Power Transition Force, NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan while simultaneously serving as the Commander, 438th Air Expeditionary Wing in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Director of Requirements at Air Combat Command. He is a graduate of Army Command and General Staff College and the Air War College.
General Boera is a command pilot with more than 5,600 flying hours and has flown over 200 combat missions. Besides Operation Enduring Freedom, he has deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Provide Comfort, Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Deliberate Forge, Allied Force, and Unified Assistance.
1981 Bachelor of Science degree in architectural engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder
1985 Master of Arts degree in management and supervision, Central Michigan University
1985 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2000 Master's degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 National Securities Management Course, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2006 Executive Education, Leadership in Crisis, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Mass.
2007 Joint Air and Space Operations Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2008 Transnational Security Cooperation, Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies, Honolulu, Hawaii
2008 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 Joint Force Air Component Commander (JFACC) Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1981 - August 1982, student, undergraduate pilot training, 14th Flying Training Wing,
Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. September 1982 - January 1986, C-21A instructor and flight evaluator, CT-39 instructor pilot, Detachment 2, 1401st Military Airlift Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. January 1986 - January 1988, instructor pilot for the Air Force Chief of Staff and C-21A operations test pilot, Detachment 1, 4950th Test Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. February 1988 - November 1988, F-16 student pilot, 314th Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. December 1988 - September 1991, flight commander, Chief of Training, 10th Tactical Fighter Squadron; Chief of Training, 496th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn AB, Germany (January - May 1991, Operation Desert Storm, Southwest Asia)
6. September 1991 - August 1993, flight commander and F-16 instructor pilot, 311th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. August 1993 - June 1994, command briefer and speech writer for the Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
8. June 1994 - June 1995, student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. August 1995 - June 1997, Director of Operations and assistant operations officer, 22nd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
10. June 1997 - June 1999, Commander, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany (February - June 1999, Operation Allied Force, AB, Italy)
11. July 1999 - June 2000, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2000 - June 2002, Commander, Cadet Group 2, 34th Training Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. (November 2001 - March 2002, Chief, Combat Plans, Combined Task Force Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey)
13. June 2002 - July 2003, Deputy Commander, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. July 2003 - June 2005, Commander, 35th Operations Group, Misawa AB, Japan (January 2005, Vice Commander, 374th Air Expeditionary Wing, Combined Security Force-536, Operation Unified Assistance, Thailand)
15. July 2005 - October 2006, Commander, 36th Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam.
16. November 2006 - September 2007, Commander, 613th Air and Space Operations Center, General George C. Kenney Headquarters, 13th Air Force, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
17. September 2007 - September 2009, Deputy Director for Operations, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
18. September 2009 - September 2010, Commanding General, Combined Air Power Transition Force, NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan/Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan, and Commander, 438th Air Expeditionary Wing, Kabul, Afghanistan
19. October 2010 - July 2011, Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
20. July 2011 - March 2012, Director of Requirements, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
21. March 2012 - present, Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. November 2001 - March 2002, Chief, Combat Plans, Combined Task Force Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey, as a lieutenant colonel
2. September 2007 - September 2009, Deputy Director for Operations, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a brigadier general
3. September 2009 - September 2010, Commanding General, Combined Air Power Transition Force, NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan/Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan, and Commander, 438th Air Expeditionary Wing, Kabul, Afghanistan, as a brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot, basic parachute
Flight Hours: More than 5,600 (including 2,650 in the F-16)
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, CT-39, C-21, AT-38, TG-7, F-16A/B/C/D (Block 10, 20, 25, 40, and 50), C-27A, plus limited flight time in the B-1, B-2, B-52, KC-135, F-15E, HH-60, and Mi-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with "V" device
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with silver and four bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Services Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
NATO Medal (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)
NATO Medal (International Security Assistance Force (ISAF))
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
Meritorious Service First Grade Medal (The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan)
Ancient Order of Chamorri (Government of Guam)
Honorable Order of Saint Barbara (U.S. Air Defense Artillery)
"The Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force in Past, Present, and Future," Airman-Scholar, Fall 2000
"The Precision Strike "Live" and on Mom and Dad's TV; Leadership Challenges for Today's Air Commanders," Airman-Scholar, Spring 2001
"The Combined Air Power Transition Force, Building Airpower for Afghanistan," Air and Space Power Journal, Spring 2010
"Rebuilding Afghanistan's National Security Forces; Fighting Asymmetry with Symmetry," Military Review, March-April 2011
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 22, 1981
First Lieutenant Sept. 10, 1983
Captain Sept. 10, 1985
Major Jan. 1, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1997
Colonel June 1, 2002
Brigadier General Dec. 3, 2007
Major General Jan. 14, 2011
(Current as of January 2014)