Lieutenant General Russell J. Handy is Commander, Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Region, North American Aerospace Defense Command; Commander, Alaskan Command, U.S. Northern Command; Commander, Eleventh Air Force, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. He is the senior military officer in Alaska, responsible for the integration of all military activities in the Alaskan joint operations area, synchronizing the activities of more than 21,000 active-duty and reserve forces from all services. He is also responsible for the planning and execution of all Homeland Defense operations within the theater, including security and civil support actions. General Handy also commands Eleventh Air Force, overseeing the training and readiness of five wings and Air Force installations located in Alaska, Hawaii, and Guam. As Commander of the Alaskan Region of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, General Handy directs operations to ensure effective surveillance, monitoring and defense of the region’s airspace.
Gen. Handy is a command pilot with more than 3,600 flight hours, primarily in the F-15 and F-22A. He has participated in numerous combat operations and deployments, including operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Desert Fox, Southern Watch, Noble Eagle, Iraqi Freedom and New Dawn.
1982 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1988 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1989 U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1995 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1995 Master of Science, Administration, Central Michigan University, Mt Pleasant, Mich.
1996 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2003 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. May 1983 - April 1984, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. May 1984 - June 1984, student, fighter lead-in training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. July 1984 - December 1984, student, F-15 conversion training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. January 1985 - December 1987, instructor pilot and assistant Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
5. January 1988 - February 1988, student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. March 1988 - July 1991, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 71st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
7. August 1991 - May 1994, instructor pilot, U.S. Air Force Weapons School; and flight safety officer, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. June 1994 - May 1995, student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. June 1995 - May 1998, Chief, Headquarters NORAD Advanced Programs; and Chief, Aerospace Missile Defense Operations, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. June 1998 - June 2002, Commander, 58th Fighter Squadron; Chief of Safety, 33rd Fighter Wing; and Director of Operations, 60th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. July 2002 - June 2003, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2003 - August 2005, Commander, 3rd Operations Group, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
13. August 2005 - June 2006, Vice Commander, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va.
14. June 2006 - January 2008, Commander, 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
15. January 2008 - August 2010, Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
16. August 2010 - December 2011, Commander, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Iraq, and Director, Air Component Coordination Element-Iraq
17. January 2012 - July 2013, Director, Operations, Plans, Requirements and Programs and Chief of Staff, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
18. August 2013 - present, Commander, Alaskan Command, U.S. Northern Command; Commander, 11th Air Force, Pacific Air Forces; and Commander, Alaskan Region, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 1995 - May 1998, Chief, Headquarters NORAD Advanced Programs; Chief, Aerospace Missile Defense Operations, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a major
2. August 2010 - December 2011, Commander, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Iraq, and Director, Air Component Coordination Element-Iraq, as a major general
3. August 2013 - present, Commander, Alaskan Command; Commander, Eleventh Air Force, Pacific Air Forces; and Commander, Alaskan Northern American Aerospace Defense Region, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska., as a lieutenant general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,600 military primary flight hours
Primary major weapons systems: F-22A; F-15A/B/C/D/E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 22, 1983
First Lieutenant April 22, 1985
Captain April 22, 1987
Major March 1, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 1998
Colonel July 11, 2003
Brigadier General Dec. 9, 2008
Major General Jan. 6, 2012
Lieutenant General Aug. 9, 2013
(Current as of July 2016)