Selected for two-step promotion to lieutenant general and reassignment as Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
Brig. Gen. Christopher F. Burne is the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia. As staff judge advocate, he is the principal legal adviser to the Commander Air Combat Command (ACC) and headquarters staff on all legal issues involving military justice, combat operations, civil litigation, environmental law, claims, international law, and administrative law. He provides professional guidance to over 300 active duty, reserve and civilian attorneys and to over 300 enlisted paralegals and civilians. General Burne's office establishes policy oversight for 18 legal offices, including six general court-martial jurisdictions, which provide legal services to over 82,000 active duty members and civilians and their eligible dependents.
General Burne is a native of Dunmore, Penn. He received a direct commission in 1983. Following the lead of his father, a decorated World War II 8th Air Force B-24 bombardier, General Burne's first assignment was to an 8th Air Force bomber base in Plattsburgh, N.Y. Since then, he has served in a variety of legal adviser and leadership positions at every level of command, to include seven tours as a Staff Judge Advocate and Director of the Secretary of the Air Force's Executive Issues Team.
In 1991, General Burne deployed to Southwest Asia in support of Operation Desert Storm as the SJA for an aerial refueling wing. For his service in three major commands, including a combat theater of operations, the general was named the 1991 Air Force Outstanding Judge Advocate of the Year. In 1995, General Burne again deployed to serve as the Joint Task Force-Southwest Asia Staff Judge Advocate. Immediately following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, he was the senior judge advocate on the Air Force Crisis Action Team directing mobilization and response operations from the Pentagon. General Burne is admitted to practice law before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
1980 Bachelor of Arts degree in history and law enforcement, University of Scranton, Pa.
1983 Juris Doctor, The Dickinson School of Law, Pa.
1986 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1993 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Air War College, by seminar
2003 Master of Science degree in national security strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1984 - April 1987, Chief, Civil Law and Chief, Military Justice, 380th Bomb Wing, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
2. April 1987 - August 1989, executive officer to the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
3. August 1989 - May 1990, Circuit Defense Counsel, 4th Judicial Circuit, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. May 1990 - November 1991, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Western Space and Missile Center, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. November 1991 - July 1992, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 20th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
6. July 1992 - June 1993, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 1993 - July 1994, Staff Judge Advocate, 32nd Fighter Group, Soesterberg Air Base, the Netherlands
8. July 1994 - July 1997, Director, Operations Law, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
9. July 1997 - July 2000, Staff Judge Advocate, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
10. July 2000 - July 2002, Chief, Administrative Law, General Law Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2002 - June 2003, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2003 - July 2005, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force District of Washington and 11th Wing, Bolling AFB, D.C.
13. July 2005 - December 2005, Director, Air Force Executive Issues Team, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. December 2005 - July 2006, Vice Commander, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Bolling AFB, D.C.
15. July 2006 - April 2007, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 8th Air Force, Barksdale AFB, La.
16. April 2007 - present, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Dec. 1, 1983
Captain July 6, 1984
Major Feb. 1, 1992
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 1997
Colonel May 1, 2002
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2008
(Current as of November 2013)