Maj. Gen. Paul T. Johnson is Director, Operational Capability Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. In this position, he establishes policy for operational capabilities-based requirements. The directorate supports major commands in developing and evaluating requirements for Air Force-wide modernization programs including fighters, bombers, mobility aircraft, space systems, command and control, munitions, missile defense, and cyber requirements. General Johnson chairs the Air Force Requirements Oversight Council and is responsible for shaping and finalizing capabilities-based requirements documents for approval by the Joint Requirements Oversight Council. He directs and supervises the activities of more than 130 military and civilian employees in seven divisions and one named activity, including requirements officers and weapon systems experts along with professional, technical, and clerical staffers.
General Johnson received his commission in 1985 from Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev., and a former instructor. He has served in staff positions at U.S. European Command and Headquarters U.S. Air Force. He also served as an Air War College professor in the Department of Strategy and International Security. General Johnson has flown missions in support of Operations Desert Storm, Northern Watch and Enduring Freedom. He is a command pilot with more than 3,000 hours in the A-10 attack aircraft, and served as commander of the 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.; the 354th Operations Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska; the 355th Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona; and 451st Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan.
1980 Bachelor of Science, Murray State University, Ky.
1990 U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1996 Master of Military Arts and Sciences degree, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1997 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2003 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1. June 1985 - June 1986, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. February 1987 - September 1991, pilot, instructor pilot, squadron safety officer, squadron weapons officer, 353rd Fighter Squadron, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C. (January 1991 - March 1991, squadron weapons officer, Operation Desert Storm, Saudi Arabia)
3. October 1991 - June 1995, instructor pilot, USAF Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
4. July 1995 - June 1996, student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
5. June 1996 - June 1999, action officer, Operation Northern Watch desk officer and senior watch officer, Operations Directorate, (J3), Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
6. July 1999 - September 1999, student, A-10 re-qualification training, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. September 1999 - April 2000, Chief of Safety, 23rd Fighter Group, Pope AFB, N.C.
8. April 2000 - April 2002, operations officer and Commander, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
9. August 2002 - June 2003, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2003 - July 2004, faculty member, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2004 - July 2006, Commander, 354th Operations Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska (January 2006 - April 2006, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan)
12. July 2006 - March 2007, Director for Colonels Management, Air Force Colonels Management Office, Washington, D.C.
13. March 2007 - July 2008, executive officer to the Air Force Vice Chief of Staff, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2008 - July 2010, Commander, 355th Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
15. July 2010 - July 2011, Commander, 451st Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
16. August 2011 - August 2013, Deputy U.S. Military Representative to NATO, Brussels, Belgium
17. August 2013 - present, Director, Operational Capability Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 1996 - June 1999, action officer, Operation Northern Watch desk officer and senior watch officer, Operations Directorate (J3), Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany, as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. January 2006 - April 2006, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan, as a colonel
3. September 2006 - February 2007, member of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Strategic Studies Group, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
4. July 2010 - July 2011, Commander 451st Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, as a brigadier general
5. August 2011 - August 2013, Deputy United States Military Representative to the NATO Military Committee
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,000
Aircraft flown: A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Cross
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 21, 1985
First Lieutenant May 21, 1987
Captain May 21, 1989
Major Dec. 1, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 1998
Colonel June 1, 2004
Brigadier General Aug. 14, 2009
Major General Dec. 31, 2012
(Current as of November 2014)