Maj. Gen. Kenneth S. Wilsbach assumed duty as Director of Operations, U.S. Central Command on May 16, 2014. He most recently served as the Commander, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Afghanistan; Deputy Commander-Air, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, and Deputy Chief of Staff-Air, International Security Assistance Force Joint Command and NATO Air Commander-Afghanistan.
General Wilsbach was commissioned in 1985 as a distinguished graduate of the University of Florida's ROTC program. He earned his pilot wings in 1986 as a distinguished graduate from Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas. The general has commanded a fighter squadron, an operations group and two wings. General Wilsbach is a command pilot with more than 3,800 hours in multiple aircraft, primarily in the F-15C, and he flew 31 combat missions in operations Northern Watch and Southern Watch.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree in broadcast communication, University of Florida, Gainesville
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1997 Master of Aerospace Science degree, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1998 Master of Science degree in national securities and strategic studies, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
2003 Master of Arts degree in National Security Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2006 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2007 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2008 Program for Senior Executive Fellows, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2010 Joint Forces Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 CAPSTONE Executive Development Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2013 Coalition Forces Land Component Commander Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. November 1985 - October 1986, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. July 1987 - February 1991, F-15 instructor pilot, 94th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
3. February 1991 - July 1993, F-15 instructor pilot and APG-63/70 Test Team Manager, 84th Test Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
4. July 1993 - May 1996, instructor pilot and Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
5. May 1996 - July 1997, aide-de-camp to Commander in Chief, Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
6. August 1997 - June 1998, student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
7. September 1998 - June 2000, assistant operations officer, later, operations officer, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
8. June 2000 - May 2002, Commander, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
9. July 2002 - June 2003, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. July 2003 - July 2004, Director of Operations, Combined Air Operations Center, and Director of Operations, Central Command Air Forces Forward, Southwest Asia
11. September 2004 - May 2006, Commander, 33rd Operations Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. May 2006 - April 2008, Commander, 53rd Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
13. April 2008 - June 2009, Assistant Director of Operations, Plans, Requirements and Programs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
14. July 2009 - June 2011, Commander, 18th Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
15. June 2011 - April 2013, Deputy Director for Operations, Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
16. April 2013 - April 2014, Commander, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force, and Deputy Commander- Air, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan
17. May 2014 - present, Director of Operations, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 1996 - July 1997, aide-de-camp to Commander in Chief, Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a major
2. July 2003 - July 2004, Director of Operations, Combined Air Operations Center, and Director of Operations, Central Command Air Forces Forward, Southwest Asia, as a colonel
3. June 2011 - April 2013, Deputy Director for Operations, Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a brigadier general
4. April 2013 - April 2014, Deputy Chief of Staff - Air, ISAF Joint Command, as a major general
5. May 2014 - present, Director of Operations, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,800
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-15A-D, MC-12W
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 18, 1985
First Lieutenant Sept. 5, 1987
Captain Sept. 5, 1989
Major Dec. 1, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 1999
Colonel July 1, 2004
Brigadier General Aug. 17, 2009
Major General April 19, 2013
(Current as of April 2015)