Maj. Gen. Michael Kim is the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He also serves as Director, Reserve Component Directorate, and as Commander, Joint Transportation Reserve Unit. General Kim advises the Commander regarding Reserve component policy, guidance and developments that affect 88,000 Reservists in support of the USTRANSCOM global mission.
General Kim entered the Air Force in 1982 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Maryland, College Park. He separated from active duty in 1997 and joined the Air Force Reserve without a break in service. General Kim has served as the Commander of the 21st Expeditionary Mobility Task Force and as a vice commander at the numbered air force and wing level and commander at the squadron level. From March 2008 to July 2008, General Kim was deployed as Combined Air and Space Operations Center Deputy Director of Mobility Forces in support of operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Maj. Gen. Kim is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flying hours in the T-37, T-38, C-130E and C-17.
1982 Bachelor of Arts degree in Law Enforcement, University of Maryland, College Park
1989 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1995 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1996 Master's degree in Aviation Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2003 Air War College, by correspondence
1. April 1983 – April 1984, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. May 1984 – October 1984, Student, C-130 Replacement Training Unit, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. October 1984 – June 1990, C-130 Flight Examiner, 37th Airlift Squadron, Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany
4. June 1990 – August 1990, C-130 Flight Examiner, 435th Airlift Wing, Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany
5. August 1990 – April 1991, C-130 Flight Examiner, 37th Airlift Squadron, Southwest Asia (operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm)
6. April 1991 – July 1992, C-130 Flight Examiner, 435th Airlift Wing, Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany
7. July 1992 – October 1994, C-17 Initial Cadre; C-17 Flight Examiner; Simulator Certification Pilot, Air Mobility Command Operating Location Delta, Charleston AFB, S.C.
8. October 1994 – July 1997, Chief, Operating Location Delta, Charleston AFB, S.C.
9. July 1997 – August 2001, C-17 Flight Examiner; Chief of Standardization and Evaluation; and Chief Pilot, 317th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
10. August 2001 – April 2004, Commander, 317th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
11. April 2004 – December 2005, Vice Commander, 315th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
12. December 2005 – November 2008, Vice Commander, 22d Air Force, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
13. November 2008 – March 2010, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 17th Air Force and U.S. Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
14. March 2010 - January 2014, Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill. (August 2010 - January 2011, Commander, 21st Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.)
15. January 2014 – present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, USTRANSCOM and Director, Reserve Component Directorate and Commander, Joint Transportation Reserve Unit, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-130E, and C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and silver oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two "M" devices and hourglass
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 16, 1982
First Lieutenant Dec. 27, 1984
Captain Dec. 27, 1986
Major November 1, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 1999
Colonel April 1, 2004
Brigadier General Feb. 1, 2010
Major General July 1, 2012
(Current as of January 2014)