Maj. Gen. James N. Post III is the Director of Current Operations, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The directorate, encompassing five divisions, the Air Force Operations Group and the Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation, is responsible for policy, guidance, and oversight of Air Force current operations in air, space and cyberspace. The Directorate provides time-sensitive situational awareness and analysis to Air Force senior leaders and links worldwide operations with core Air Force processes to enable global vigilance, reach and power.
General Post entered the Air Force in 1983 following graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has held a variety of flying and staff assignments and commanded a fighter squadron, two fighter wings, and served as Director of Air Forces Central Command's Air and Space Operations Center. He recently served as the Director of Operations and Vice Commander of Air Combat Command. The General is a command pilot with over 4,850 flying hours and has led combat missions in support of operations Northern Watch, Southern Watch, and Iraqi Freedom.
1983 Bachelor of Science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1990 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1991 Master of Public Administration, Troy State University
1993 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1997 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1998 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2003 Master of Strategic Studies, with distinction, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Congressional Operations Seminar, Government Affairs Institute, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2008 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2012 Capstone Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 Combined Forces Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Joint Forces Maritime Component Commander Course, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
2014 Joint Flag Officer Warfighter’s Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1983 - June 1984, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. July 1984 - September 1984, Student, lead-in fighter training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. October 1984 - June 1985, F-4D Student, 308th Fighter Squadron, Homestead AFB, Fla.
4. July 1985 - June 1987, F-4E Mission Pilot, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
5. July 1987 - September 1987, Student, F-16C Transition, 314th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. October 1987 - November 1988, F-16C Mission Pilot, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
7. December 1988 - June 1992, F-16 Evaluation Pilot, 62nd and 63rd Fighter Squadrons, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. July 1992 - December 1992, Student, Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. January 1993 - January 1994, F-16 Instructor and Evaluation Pilot, Weapons Officer and Flight Commander, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
10. February 1994 - June 1996, F-16 Instructor and Evaluation Pilot, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, and wing weapons officer, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
11. July 1996 - May 1997, Student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
12. June 1997 - June 1999, Operations Officer, Western Hemisphere, Operations Directorate (J3), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. July 1999 - August 1999, Student, F-16 Transition Course, 310th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. September 1999 - June 2002, F-16 Evaluation Pilot, 77th Fighter Squadron; Operations Officer, 79th Fighter Squadron; Commander, 55th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
15. July 2002 - June 2003, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. July 2003 - March 2004, Senior Deputy Commander, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
17. April 2004 - July 2006, Vice Commander, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
18. August 2006 - January 2007, Standardization and Evaluation, 12th Air Force, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
19. February 2007 - October 2008, Commander, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
20. November 2008 - July 2009, Commander, 609th Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia
21. August 2009 - January 2010, Director of Plans and Requirements, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
22. February 2010 - August 2012, Commander, 354th Fighter Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
23. August 2012 - June 2013, Deputy Director of Operations, Plans and Policy, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
24. June 2013 - September 2014, Director of Operations, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
25. September 2014 - May 2015, Vice Commander, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
26. May 2015 - present, Director of Current Operations, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 1997 - June 1999, Operations Officer, Western Hemisphere, Operations Directorate (J3), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. September 2012 - January 2013, Director, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia, as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: 4,850 (280 combat)
Aircraft flown: A/T-38, F-4D/E and F-16A/C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with five oak leaf clusters
1995 U.S. Air Force Champion- Gunsmoke ‘95, Pacific Air Forces Mission Commander
1996 U.S. Air Force Anthony C. Shine Award, Fighter Pilot of the Year
2009 General and Mrs. Jerome F. O'Malley Award, Air Combat Command
2011 General and Mrs. Jerome F. O'Malley Award, Pacific Air Forces
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1983
First Lieutenant June 1, 1985
Captain June 1, 1987
Major May 1, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 1998
Colonel June 1, 2004
Brigadier General May 7, 2010
Major General Aug. 9, 2013
(Current as of December 2015)