Maj. Gen. Jay B. Silveria is Commander, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. The USAFWC's mission is developing innovative leaders and full spectrum capabilities through responsive, realistic, and relevant Air Force and joint testing, tactics development, and advanced training across all levels of war. The center ensures deployed forces are well trained and well equipped to conduct integrated combat operations. From operational testing and tactics development programs to the advanced training schools, exercises and venues, the center provides Airmen with proven and tested technology, the most current tactics, superb academic training and a unique opportunity to practice integrated force employment. The center functions as a team of innovative, highly skilled Airmen providing effective weapons, tactics, and command and control integrated across air, space and cyberspace for the Joint Force Commander. The USAFWC is organized under Air Combat Command into four wings, one named activity, and one direct reporting unit with more than 11,000 Airmen serving in the 57th Wing, 53rd Wing, 99th Air Base Wing, 505th Command and Control Wing, the Nevada Test and Training Range, and the Air Force Tactical Exploitation of National Capabilities.
General Silveria grew up in an Air Force family and is a 1985 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He completed undergraduate pilot training in 1986, and his subsequent flying assignments include positions as flight commander, chief of wing standardization and evaluation, and operations officer. During his most recent assignment, General Silveria served as Vice Commander, 14 Air Force, Air Forces Strategic, at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. He has previously served as the Director, Security Assistance in the Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq. The general has also served as aide-de-camp to the Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Commander, U.S. European Command. He has commanded a fighter squadron and served as
a deputy mission support group commander. Additionally, he commanded the 32nd Air and Space Operations Center at Ramstein Air Base, Germany, and 48th Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England.
General Silveria has flown combat sorties over the Balkans and Iraq and served as Vice Commander at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. He is a command pilot with more than 3,800 hours in the T-37, T-38 and F-15C/E aircraft.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master of Social Science degree, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2005 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2009 Senior Executive Fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. August 1985 - August 1986, student, undergraduate pilot training, 82nd Student Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. January 1987 - May 1990, T-37 instructor pilot, 96th Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
3. June 1990 - March 1991, student, F-15E Replacement Training Unit, 550th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1991 - June 1995, F-15E instructor pilot, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. July 1995 - November 1997, F-15E Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 48th Wing, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England
6. December 1997 - July 1999, aide-de-camp, to the Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Commander, U.S. European Command, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Mons, Belgium
7. August 1999 - June 2000, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2000 - July 2004, Director of Operations, 48th Operations Support Squadron; Commander, 492nd Fighter Squadron; Deputy Commander, 48th Mission Support Group, RAF Lakenheath, England
9. July 2004 - June 2005, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2005 - January 2006, Commander, 32nd Air and Space Operations Center, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
11. January 2006 - July 2007, Vice Commander, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, England
12. July 2007 - August 2008, special assistant to the Commander, U.S. European Command, SHAPE, Mons, Belgium
13. August 2008 - June 2010, Commander, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, England
14. July 2010 - March 2012, Inspector General, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
15. March 2012 - March 2013, Director, Security Assistance in the Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq
16. April 2013 - February 2014, Vice Commander, 14th Air Force, Air Forces Strategic, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
17. February 2014 - present, Commander, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. December 1997 - July 1999, aide-de-camp, to the Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Commander, U.S. European Command, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Mons, Belgium, as a major
2. July 2007 - August 2008, special assistant to the Commander, U.S. European Command, SHAPE, Mons, Belgium, as a colonel
3. March 2012 - March 2013, Director, Security Assistance in the Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq, as a brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,700
Aircraft flown: F-15C/E, AT-38B, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
NATO Medal (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1985
First Lieutenant May 29, 1987
Captain May 29, 1989
Major Feb 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel July 1, 2005
Brigadier General Sept. 2, 2010
Major General June 16, 2014
(Current as of June 2014)