New photo pending
Maj. Gen. Thomas Deale is the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He is responsible to the Commander, Air Combat Command, on all matters pertaining to the direct operational planning, training, command and controlling functions to deploy and employ regular and Reserve component combat air forces, including more than 1,900 aircraft, in support of U.S. security objectives.
General Deale entered the Air Force in 1987 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. His diverse background includes positions in operations/plans, battlefield command and control, doctrine, international affairs, manpower/personnel and professional military education. His command assignments include a fighter squadron, operations group, fighter wing and the Air Command and Staff College. He also commanded both the 451st Air Expeditionary Wing and the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing in Afghanistan. His staff assignments include the Air Force Doctrine Center, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, and the Joint Staff. General Deale is a command pilot with over 3,000 flight hours, predominantly in the A-10 Thunderbolt II, and has deployed and flown combat missions over both Iraq and Afghanistan.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in Astronautical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1997 Master of Aeronautical Science degree, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1998 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1999 School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2009 Senior Executive Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2012 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Joint Force Air Component Commanders Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1987 - October 1988, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. October 1988 - December 1991, OA-10 pilot and Chief Battalion Air Liaison Officer, 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. December 1991 - March 1992, A/OA-10 Flight Lead, Chief of Mobility, 354th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1992 - November 1995, A/OA-10 instructor and evaluator pilot, East Coast A-10 demonstration pilot, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. November 1995 - May 1997, Flight Commander, A/OA-10 Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, 358th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
6. June 1997 - May 1998, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
7. June 1998 - May 1999, Student, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1999 - September 2001, Chief of Air Warfare Doctrine, Air Force Doctrine Center, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. October 2001 - June 2003, A/OA-10 instructor pilot, Chief of Readiness and Assessment, 51st Fighter Wing, then Director of Operations, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
10. July 2003 - June 2004, Commander, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
11. July 2004 - May 2005, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2005 - June 2006, Country Director for South Korea, J-5, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2006 - July 2007, Special Assistant, office of the Assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2007 - October 2008, Commander, 355th Operations Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
15. October 2008 - December 2009, Commander, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan AB, South Korea
16. December 2009 - July 2011, Director, Air Force Colonels Management Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. July 2011 - February 2012, Commander, 451st Air Expeditionary Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan.
18. March 2012 - July 2012, Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing and Senior Joint Airfield Authority, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan.
19. August 2012 – 15 January 2015, Commandant, Air Command and Staff College, and Vice Commander, Spaatz Center for Officer Education, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
20. January 2015 – present, Director of Operations, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2005 - June 2006, Country Director for South Korea, J-5, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2006 - July 2007, Special Assistant, office of the Assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
3. March 2012 - July 2012, Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing and Senior Joint Airfield Authority, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,000 hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, A-10A, A-10C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1987
First Lieutenant May 27, 1989
Captain May 27, 1991
Major Sept. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2001
Colonel Nov. 1, 2006
Brigadier General Nov. 7, 2011
Major General July 1, 2015
(Current as of July 2015)